Solved

BOL / Documentation - Has "article?p=" been dropped.

• 6 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Have Article IDs and the “article?p=” functionality been dropped from documentation.commvault.com?

icon

Best answer by Amanda Tesla 19 January 2024, 14:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @EraseAndReuseMedia 

We did make updates to Documentation that were implemented publicly today but from my notes it doesn’t seem like we’ve used “article?p=” for some time. When was the last time it worked for you?

For example, here are some links below that I have in my notes for quick copy\paste. They do not have “article?p=”.

In our updated documentation it does look like we’ve removed the Article ID.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +1

I thought I had used it relatively recently. I use “article?p=<number>.htm” style links for all documentation, because the full URL looks horrendous. It will painful to have to go through and update everything. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello @EraseAndReuseMedia 

We did make updates to Documentation that were implemented publicly today but from my notes it doesn’t seem like we’ve used “article?p=” for some time. When was the last time it worked for you?

For example, here are some links below that I have in my notes for quick copy\paste. They do not have “article?p=”.

In our updated documentation it does look like we’ve removed the Article ID.

Thank you,
Collin

It appears that the “article?p=” links are working again.

Is this likely to be permanent, or will they disappear once all internal references to that style link are changed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Everyone,

We had to change authoring platforms from Author-It to GitLab/Visual Studio Code. The IDs were part of the Author-It software, which assigned unique number IDs to each file/page and then each URL. Now the file names are alphabetical only. There is no number ID system in the GitLab repository. The old number IDs should redirect to the new URL. If they don’t, it may mean that we deleted or moved the page. I preferred the IDs too, but there are multiple positive a trade-offs. For example, by moving to this new system, employees outside of Doc team will soon be able to make their own updates to the docs. We hope by the end of the year that customers will be able to do this too. Doc team will continue to verify the changes, but the changes will happen more easily and quickly. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Thank you for the response, Amanda.

It sounds like I might need to look into a URL Shortening Service so that can I keep documentation clean and consistent.