Question

Can a file server be added to Compliance Search

• 21 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello everyone,

The Privacy & Risk Management team at my company has asked if our in-house file server could be added to the Compliance Search within CommVault.  Currently, it only searches M365 emails.

Can a Windows file server be added?  If so, is there documentation on how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Are you currently content indexing file system backups?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I’ve inherited this system that was originally configured more than a decade ago.  The old, deprecated Compliance search used to include at least part of the file server so there must be at least part of it that’s indexed.  To be honest, I don’t know how to confirm what portions of the file server (if any) are indexed.  As shown in the screen capture, only Email: Exchange appears as an option.

Badge +2

I think this kind of depends on whether the original system in your case uses the FAST index(in common use ~12 years ago, I think), or the V1 SOLR index.

FAST was deprecated some time ago(perhaps 6-8 years ago).

I’m not 100% sure V1 SOLR is deprecated in and of itself, but I believe it is as pertains to it’s usage in CommVault.  However, there is a way to migrate data from the V1 SOLR index into the V2 index.

Apologies that I can’t tell you much more than this.  The doing takes a lot of effort, and it’s a bit over my head.  My company engaged CV Professional Services to get us to a point where we can create jobs to migrate the data, and I know how to do so, but I would be lost trying to set it up all over again from scratch.

I know we had at least one major problem with the way our index was formatted that had to be remedied first, and that required significant compute time during the transition.

I highly recommend attending CommVault’s training.  I need to go back and take it again for the new version; I’m lost all over again, despite having attended training ~8 years ago).