Question

Change queueing behavior for SQL iDA when instance validation fails

• 28 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

As per KB 67279 https://ma.commvault.com/Article/Details/67279, when instance validation fails for SQL iDA, the job gets queued until you fix the account.

How do we change this behavior and turn this feature off?

We need the job to fail in this case, as we are an MSP and have automation built off of the failures of these jobs.  If the job stays queued forever, it will never generate a ticket for us and won’t get fixed.  In fact, I found two jobs which were queued since June/July because of instance validation failing.

I do not want any jobs to queue, unless I turn on queueing options in Control Panel.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@RobAbate  good day!
if the instance validation gets failed job goes in to “queue” state for SQL ida this is expceted beahaviour 
we will make internal query and get back to you if there any any possibilities here as per your description.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks!  

Please let me know how to turn off this functionality (or if there is currently no way I’ll open a ticket to escalate so that they can provide us a mechanism to turn this feature off).

Like I said, we have automation that relies on jobs failing so we need the job to fail in this scenario (otherwise we’ll end up in the current situation, where this instance hasn’t been protected in over 100 days).

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’ve opened Incident 231012-794 for this issue, since I got no useful response here.  Hopefully they will escalate to dev and get our concern addressed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@RobAbate 

If the job stays queued forever, it will never generate a ticket for us and won’t get fixed.  In fact, I found two jobs which were queued since June/July

I am just trying to understand here, are you able to suspend the job? Is that not possible or just looking for more hands off approach? Once its seen queued with instance validation failing it the issue not addressed? Disable the backups on the SQL agent until its addressed? 

I will look into your concern to see if we can disable it, I just trying to understand your process.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I just want the job to go to failed instead of staying in queued state.  If it’s scheduled, I want it to fail daily, as we have automation that kicks in for failures.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@RobAbate Thanks I understand.

At this moment I do not believe there is any way to just disable this behavior, and this might be a CMR, but we are discussing in detail internally and will update on the case and thread.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

And this is Commvault’s biggest problem -- you have something working one way for 15 years and then suddenly decide to change that behavior without giving admins a way to control it.  Like everything else, half the customers will want the new way, half will want the old way - why not make both work when you change a default behavior???

There have been several of these new “features” which changed behavior that we had to have escalations to put it back to the old way - give admins the choices - some of us are smart enough to make our own decisions and know how we want it to work :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

A CMR # 413784 has been created for this.

The goal is twofold. Have the ability or limit the number of jobs retries when instance validation fails which after retries job will fail. Second is to provide ability to disable it completely.

Thanks