Solved

Commcell Console in the Cloud

• 17 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

We are currently in the process of going Tapeless with Commvault.  Our Commserve Disk Library is onsite and will be staying on site, the only part is we will be sending our Aux to Metallic Cloud Service, or whatever it is called now.  My question is can we run our Commcell from the cloud to connect to our Inhouse Media to do all our backups and Aux backups without having to go full Metallic and have hot storage?  Our Security officer is asking as an added layer of security incase a “bad actor” access our onsite system they would also have access to our commcell since its on site, if it was housed in the cloud we are slightly more secure.  Thank you for any info.  We have a meeting next week with commvault to further our services with them, but figured I would ask here so I don’t sound like a complete idiot in the meeting.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 17 April 2023, 17:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

First question back: what makes you think cloud is more secure than you own local datacenter? In the end you still have to design, build and run the virtual environment in the cloud yourself, or have someone doing that for you, just like on-premise environments. One thing you will loose is some form of control, because the cloud provider is responsible for the delivery of the platform. In addition if you only do this for you backup environment than you could also bridge in the fact that you have another external component to manage which adds some form of complexity. 

Anyhow regardless of my question back, yes it’s possible to have you CommServe in a remote location orchestrating all the backups to you disk library that is on you DC and in the meantime orchestrate the aux-copies of the data from the disk library to the recovery vault. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thank you for replying so quickly.  Easy answer is my security guy asked and I didn’t know so I figured I would ask.  The other reason that then got into my head was for when we do a Disaster Recovery Test we wouldn’t have to waste the time setting up the Commserve on a offsite server which takes while to setup.  We would just point to a new location and go.  As for the setup and building I wasn’t sure if Commvault itself offered that type of service or we would have to go Azure or Amazon Cloud route and setup our own servers.  So thank you again for the help, and I will let them know we can do it, with exceptions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well, that can be one of the advantages indeed to have the CommServe running in the cloud, but you could also consider just shipping the DR backups to a cloud environment as well. Sure, you will have to spend some time in case of a DR to get the new CommServe up-and-running but if you have the rest in place already than this should be a matter of an hour to have this up-and-running. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

We have also been talking about working with our current DR Provider to run a Synced version of our Commcell on an offsite area for DR testing and real world DR.  Cut out the time spending downloading the DR files and setup.  Thanks again @Onno van den Berg have a great week