Skip to main content

Hello guys,

We plan to upgrade the CommServe from SP16 to SP24 with a hardware refresh (Install it on a new server).

We’ve found the procedure on the documentation, but one of the steps got us confused. On the “Preparing the Old CommServe Computer for Shutdown” in step 4, it is stating that we have to install the latest Commvault Service Pack.

Does that mean that we have also to upgrade the old CS (Actual CS that is running) which is now SP16 to SP24 before installing the SP24 on the new server ?

Kind regards.

Hi @Commvault Engineer 

It’s not a hard requirement that it must be updated beforehand, but it is strongly recommended. This ensures there are no issues during the restoration of the database on the new server as the database upgrade has already been completed.

The exception to this rule would be if you are currently on an older operating system such as 2008 r2 in which case I would advise installing the software on the new server and completing your database recovery here which will complete the database upgrade to the matching higher feature release of the installed software.

Regards,
Sean

Hi @Commvault Engineer 

It’s not a hard requirement that it must be updated beforehand, but it is strongly recommended. This ensures there are no issues during the restoration of the database on the new server as the database upgrade has already been completed.

The exception to this rule would be if you are currently on an older operating system such as 2008 r2 in which case I would advise installing the software on the new server and completing your database recovery here which will complete the database upgrade to the matching higher feature release of the installed software.

Regards,
Sean

Hi Sean,

Just to be sure, so we can upgrade the CommServe DB directly in the installation step during the setup of the new hardware ? As stated in the screenshot below :

Another thing, is that the actual CS is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and the new server will be hosting Windows Server 2019 Standard.

Best regards.

Hi @Commvault Engineer 

My personal recommendation is to use the alternate method and complete the installation of the software and then restore the database. However both options are available to you.

Hi @Commvault Engineer 

My personal recommendation is to use the alternate method and complete the installation of the software and then restore the database. However both options are available to you.

Thanks, Sean, for your availability and time, it's much clearer now :)