Skip to main content

Hello Commvault Community,

From below link that Commvault capable to have direct access to Storage Array to do backup process. https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/getting_started_with_hpe_3par_storeserv_primera_hpe_alletra_9000_series_hpe_greenlake_for_block_storage_array.html

My question is can Commvault backup the whole LUN from above steps? Let’s say I have 1TB LUN_A, can I backup LUN_A directly without care for whatever data inside of it?

The goal is if LUN_A fails, I can restore from the backed up LUN_A to source Storage and mount it to designated Server.

Thanks.

funny approach

tons of empty regions on your LUNs, that will need to be read every time.
Incremental backup will also have to read the complete LUN and compare to already existing backup data.

Since someone else is playing with the LUN, while your trying to backup the data, it will be
- inconsistent
- required to be backed up as raw data (cannot be mounted without the risk of data corruption)

The only option I can think of, is using a Unix/Linux box and make a backup of the raw device (not the inodes, but the content :))

but as I said, the data might be inconsistent if altered by production hosts while backing up the data

Different story, if you can use IntelliSnap and create snapshots, that you backup instead of reading the production LUN.