Question

Commvault binaries/directories are not collected when backing up the default subclient

• 5 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community,

Environment version: SP32

I am now testing the 1-touch procedure for Laptops with Win10 Pro. The 1-touch process itself runs successfully, but I noticed that it doesn’t collect Commvault directories, so the machine was recreated using the 1-touch mechanism without the entire Commvault structure (C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore is empty, there are no binaries there).

I checked whether it was collecting data at the very beginning of the first Full Backup and the answer is - it isn’t collecting it.

Backup is performed on the default subclient, so "/" is indicated in Content, which says that everything that can be backed up using the FS agent will be protected, but this doesn’t happen. Backup System State is also enabled, I haven't added any filters.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that this is a newly created Backupset, because when a laptop is recognized as a Laptop, it is assigned a "Subclient Policy", which changes the Content for the default subclient, but when I create a new dedicated Backupset it is the default subclient should act as a completely separate entity and should fulfill its role.

Is there any condition/scenario that Commvault directories/binaries will not be collected in the default subclient?

Thanks in advance,
Kamil

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Have you checked your backup filters?

/ will backup everything but what is specified in your filters.

Userlevel 4

Hi @clecky 

Filters are completely disabled and it doesn’t collect Commvault directories yet. Is there any specific log that will tell me what might be the cause?

Thanks,

Kamil

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22nFilterGalaxyDirectories%22&id=457 ?

/Rubeck

Userlevel 4

Hello @RubeckDK 

I used this key once and it actually worked, but unfortunately it doesn't work here…

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi Kamil.. 

As I read it, if set with a value of 1, the Commvault directories WILL be excluded from collection and not be backed up….  Maybe I’m misunderstanding something here.. 

/Rubeck

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@RubeckDK is correct, with a value of 1 the CV folders are meant to be excluded;

Could you try setting it up to 0 and check the results please?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@RubeckDK is correct, with a value of 1 the CV folders are meant to be excluded;

Could you try setting it up to 0 and check the results please?

That additional setting should do it and the default setting is '0' documentation has some more info on it.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/excluding_commcell_console_directories_from_windows_file_system_backups.html

From memory excluding the Commvault binaries is the default behaviour during a backup. Hopefully this setting with the 0 achieves this

Userlevel 4

Hi,

After changing the key value to 0, the situation is the same. After adding/changing the key, do I need to restart Commvault services on any component or take other action?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Kamil

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Kamil A restart of CV services on the client machine is not required. Can you create a new subclient and specifically backup the C:\ProgramFiles\Commvault folder and share and check the filescan and clbackup.log?

Best,

Rajiv Singal