Question

Commvault Communications Service Restart automatically

• 13 February 2023
  • 13 replies

Badge +5

Hi Team,

One of our backup client Commvault Communications Service Restarting automatically. I have tried to be reinstalled but still having same issue. Also, given exception of the below folders from Anti-virus.

C:\ProgramData\Commvault Systems

C:\Program Files\Commvault

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @Thava_91 ,

What version is this please?

Did you check and delete the folders after uninstalling the software?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +5

HI @Thava_91 ,

What version is this please?

Did you check and delete the folders after uninstalling the software?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Client and commserver Version -11.24.34

Even tried older version.

Yes, I have deleted the below folders before re-install.

C:\Program Files\Commvault

C:\ProgramData\Commvault Systems

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

This version is over a year old now, we have fixed issues where CVD is crashing, are you able to update to 24.90 please?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/assets/service_pack/updates/11_24_90.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Thava_91 as suggested by @Sebastien Merluzzi already, please make sure to update to the latest maintenance release. It also comes with a lot of security updates as well. The version you are running is more than 12 months old!

Badge +5

@Thava_91 as suggested by @Sebastien Merluzzi already, please make sure to update to the latest maintenance release. It also comes with a lot of security updates as well. The version you are running is more than 12 months old!

As per suggestions, I have updated the client version to 24.90 and it is reflected on client and commserv.  But still the issue persists.

Also, why the version is not changed on program and features. The same version was showing before and after upgrades.

program and features

Client process manager

Client version in Commserv

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Thava_91 

Can you work with your Security team and pause all security software temporarily. Reinstall and check if the issue is resolved?

Did you attempt to install an older version of CV as a test to infer if this behavior repeats? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
  1. Check the windows application log and see if the service is crashing (it is cvd.exe)
  2. Check cvd.log and see if there is anything interesting. The first column in the log file is the Process ID. When this number changes in the log file, you know the service has restarted - so check the final text associated with the old number just before it changes which may provide you with some clues

Badge +5

Hello @Thava_91 

Can you work with your Security team and pause all security software temporarily. Reinstall and check if the issue is resolved?

Did you attempt to install an older version of CV as a test to infer if this behavior repeats? 

yes i have tried to install bit older version, but no luck. 

For security, I have excluded the default home and logs paths to from anti-virus.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Thava_91 ,

Can you check Application.evtx and System.evtx and see if cvd.exe is crashing?

If so, do you have crash dumps?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +5

@Thava_91 ,

Can you check Application.evtx and System.evtx and see if cvd.exe is crashing?

If so, do you have crash dumps?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Yes we can see cvd.exe crashing logs.

There is no crash dumps on the path -- C:\Users\TEMP.CORPAD.000\AppData\Local

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Are you able to enable “Windows Error Reporting” and log a case with us so we can check and escalate to Development please

Badge +5

Are you able to enable “Windows Error Reporting” and log a case with us so we can check and escalate to Development please

yes , i have updated in the case number of Incident Update: 230123-193

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

ok, I see this was requested last week. Perfect, we can now escalate the case.