Skip to main content

After some weird initial issues which were fixed by an update….. My Nutanix files jobs take a long long long time to backup (assuming they don’t fail or restart attempt at reboot). I’m talking  37 days for my current attempt, which for the first time, is past the scan phase. 

CommVault indicates the job is 4.72 TB for this subclient of the Nutanix Filer. Initially, I thought maybe it was the size causing the issues. (New to CommVault, new to Nutanix). However I found this YouTube video How to check disk performance using CVdiskPerf - YouTube indicating that high read times indicate a possible disk issue. 

My read % time for the job is 96.85%. This seems excessive. 

Has anyone attempted to use the CVdiskPerf on their Nutanix Filer? How did you do it? Recommendations on Youtube tutorial or an SOP somewhere?

Hey @Jessica.Johnson 

To understand this better I’m going to ask a few more questions and suggest a quick test

I am curious as to how you configured it - did you leverage the Nutanix Files integration or simply pointing a regular file system client to the SMB or NAS share?

Is this the first full backup or an incremental backup after the full completed?

Often the scan phase can take a very long time if you have millions of files, particularly on the first backup - check the ‘attempts’ tab on the job and see how long the filescan phase took.

Finally, one quick and simple test could be to access the server performing the backup (access node), and simply access the file share and try to copy some large files over and check the throughput - that might give you an indication that a bottleneck exists outside of the backup that could be investigated.

Yes - first back up, pointing at regular file system, added Nutanix filer as a File Server with CommVault Media Agent as its Access Node. 

I was working within a ticket and they suggested taking a look at the scan attempts as well. Yes. Initial attempt, and very very long. I’m not in a position where I can upload logs, but I now believe the issue to be with the Nutanix side, not CommVault. 

This YouTube video showed the job load high read percentage indicated a potential issue with the client side disks, and that I could run that tool on the client side. I was hoping someone might have an idea how to do that with Nutanix. 

Are your questions indicating that the scan time is included in that percentage and 96% is potentially normal since it’s a first backup?

Elapsed time

• Scan attempt 14:33:43 Failed
  • Scan attempt 60:30:43 Completed
  • Backup attempt 99:40:01 Failed > ...lThe parameter used for the current operation is not supported by the Operating System, OS Drivers or the underlying Hardware.] … process cvd
  • Backup attempt 12:33:14 Interrupted
  • Backup attempt 15:50:01 Interrupted
  • Backup attempt 53:20:43 Failed > ...4The parameter used for the current operation is not supported by the Operating System, OS Drivers or the underlying Hardware.] … process cvd
  • Backup attempt 39:37:27 Failed > ...:The parameter used for the current operation is not supported by the Operating System, OS Drivers or the underlying Hardware.] … process cvd
  • Backup attempt 68:28:23 Interrupted
  • Backup attempt 14:50:20 Interrupted
  • Backup attempt 16:10:20 

Nutanix and CommVault did not have insight on the Failed backup attempt error, probably because I can’t upload logs

@Jessica.Johnson , following up on some threads; were you able to get anywhere with Nutanix support?