Question

Commvault SNP trap "type" change.

• 10 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hello!

I wish You all Happy New Year!

I'm coming with a question.

In our Environment we do have a escalation process for failure backup based on commvault trap sent to monitoring software. This trap is based on this configuration:

For now we do have that one Alert configured for the whole Environment, but we would like to separate it for Production and Test server. This will be done by setting two different alerts based on “subclient” name: 

Equal, do not equals, never mind we will play with it :) 

But a problem is that our monitoring software is not able to apply different escalation rules for a trap content, only by its “type”.

And since at the very beginning of configuration I choose Category - Job Management and Type - Data Protection, no matter what I will configure later always the same “trap type” will be sent.

In monitoring tool it will always come as this type of trap:

“simpanaAlertDataProt”

I would need to create separated trap type for Test servers and failed backup for them. Is there a way to configure it Commvault?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Grzegorz 

Thanks for the great question!
The monitoring tool you are using is going to be where most of what you are asking need to be done but to make it as easy as possible for that software to know the difference between Prod and Test you can create two alerts and use Commvault client groups instead.

Using one Client group called Prod and have a method in your environment to make that group dynamic ( Naming convention is the common one to follow )

Once that is setup create the alert in the same way and on the Rule groups use the new group created. Do this for both Prod and Test and name them accordingly. We wont be able to change the “type” that the alert is sent out as but if your software can do some sorting based on the name of the alert that may be a way forward.

Sorry i could not be anymore help on this question but i hop i have helped!

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +5

Hello! Thanks for Your response!
Problem is not to differentiate the groups between prod or test, but about this trap type…
I was able to create separated alerts for prod and test, but trap which was sent has the same type, so our monitoring soft can not escalate it in different way…

As You can see on my first post, i have added a screen where You can see that monitoring soft is getting this trap called “simpanaAlertDataProt” so this is what i want to change to be different between prod and test.

Is there a way to do so?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Grzegorz 

Not that i know of. If it is something you wanted added to the product you can raise a support case and request a “CMR”  ( Customer modification request ) to add this ability.

I could be wrong though about if it can be done or not and the case making its way to Dev will also 100% answer that question. On my knowledge you cannot make that change tho. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams