Solved

Commvault update. No idea where to begin. Version 11.24.7

• 9 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

So we have pretty spread out Commvault infrastructure with number of components installed. Excuse me but I am not backup admin or Commvault expert so trying to get my head around this.

Commvault version is 11.24.7 which is pretty far behind i believe and hence needs update.

What I am having difficulty is things that I need to update apart from Commvault server and it’s DB itself. Already planning updating Commvault to newer version along with SQL DB. But when it comes to media agents, VSA proxies, Exchange agents etc. it gets confusing. When I look at Commcell Console and pull report for Configuration and select Media Agents tab I see many media agents. But when I login to web console and run report for Software Version I see less number of Media Agents. Same server but accessing it differently. I am bit confused how many media agents we have now and which one are in use and which one needs updating

Than we also have couple of VSA Proxy servers, index servers and Exchange Stubs etc.

So can someone let me know how to identify what’s in use out of all these components and also sequence of update. Thinking of updaging Commvault to 11.24.48..

thanks

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 9 January 2023, 23:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I would recommend downloading the latest maintenance release for FR 24 which would be 11.24.78.  Once downloaded I would update the CommServe first, and then push out the updates to your other clients, this will assure that all clients are on the latest and greatest for FR24.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

What is the report name that is showing less number of media agents than commcell console?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I have no way of knowing what report it is you are running.  Can you please provide a screenshot of the report?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You can also try running the commcell configuration report - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/39723_commcell_configuration_report_overview.html

This gives you - 

• Software version, service pack numbers, package types, and hotfixes installed on client computers.

As @orazan mentions, start with the Commserve then target the media agents / clients when time permits (and always go to the latest maintenance release as we recommend staying within the last 3 months worth of maintenance releases).

• A maintenance release is a collection of hotfixes that are targeted at resolving specific critical issues that might cause major disruptions to operations or potential losses of data. A new maintenance release is available every month.

To keep your CommCell environment up to date, we recommend that you update the maintenance release every 2 to 3 months.