Skip to main content

Can I upgrades new feature releasse from v11sp9 to v11sp24? Should I upgrade feature release to v11sp16 first?

Hi @Nitinan 

It all depends on your current environment, upon many items like your current commvault OS/DB versions, and most of all the features that you are using in your current v11SP9.

In my environment, we are using restapi to discuss with Commserve to initiate backup jobs, control them, etc. I do not remember in which version it was, but from SP18 to SP20 or 21, there were changes in the syntax (they call it enhancement/enrichment, I admit it is also, but it’s, from a customer point of view, a change 😁). We did not perform enough exhaustive tests and discovered the issue right after the upgrade.

Since then, we have created a test CS where we have the same version as our current, to which we apply the target update. And we perform tests on it before we eventually move to Production.

I suggest you to do the same, this would help you figure out it all would work.

You could also clone your Commserve VM and boot the cloned VM outside your network and test your update on it.

Those are just non exhaustive suggestions. 😉 

So far, I have never experienced a CS outage after a FR upgrade.

Only when I upgraded from v10 to v11, there we had couple of issues.

Then we strived to update frequently to not have a huge version gap like we had before, and now , believe me, t’s a pleasure to update. 

Regards,

Laurent.

Thank you Laurent. I’ll follow your suggest.😊

Holly crap! That is a big step! Really curious why you are still running on SP9/FR9. This version is unsupported so upgrades from this version are not part of the validation and regression tests, so I would indeed take a careful approach and first see if you can create a test environment to see if the upgrade will succeed. 

Apologies if you are already aware of this but one of the changes to look out for after the upgrade is the use of “display name” rather than “client name” in the consoles. As part of your upgrade plan, once you have completed the upgrade you might want to use the ‘QScript Reset Display Names’ tool available in the store to sync the display names to the client names.

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/96/609/11581

Regards

Steven

Apologies if you are already aware of this but one of the changes to look out for after the upgrade is the use of “display name” rather than “client name” in the consoles. As part of your upgrade plan, once you have completed the upgrade you might want to use the ‘QScript Reset Display Names’ tool available in the store to sync the display names to the client names.

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/96/609/11581

Regards

Steven

That’s some clever thinking there!  Big distinction that to many of us is ancient history!