Skip to main content

Hi, Can we run content indexing/analyzer while doing an aux copy from tape to cloud OR if we can restore indices from tape media to local disk and gain access to file level analytics reports ?

Well, i’m looking to move all tape data from on-prem (tape) aux-copy to S3 deep glacier archival for long term storage. Before moving the data, I need to get file level details so incase if we need to restore we have the details. (I would like to go direct to glacier due to the chunk size being larger and not stage it to on-prem or normal s3 bucket.) Another method/suggestion to index information post aux copy or reading from tape would be good to know.

Thanks !

Hi Fizzy,

Can we run content indexing/analyzer while doing an aux copy from tape to cloud 

=> As both the operation (Aux copy and content indexing) will read the data from the library and since its a Tape library as a Primary copy , we can’t have simultaneous reads, therefore it might not work. you can suspend the Aux copy job and then then content indexing which should work.

OR if we can restore indices from tape media to local disk and gain access to file level analytics reports 

=> how are we looking to “ restore indices from tape media to local disk” ?

Well, i’m looking to move all tape data from on-prem (tape) aux-copy to S3 deep glacier archival for long term storage. Before moving the data, I need to get file level details so incase if we need to restore we have the details. (I would like to go direct to glacier due to the chunk size being larger and not stage it to on-prem or normal s3 bucket.) Another method/suggestion to index information post aux copy or reading from tape would be good to know.

=> When we copy all the data from the Tape to S3 glacier, a copy of index is also moved with the data, so no need to worry about the index.

Thanks @SMD - I’ll proceed with doing content indexing before we Aux Copy so I have the metadata and FSO search option. 

regarding restoring indices I was looking to restore onto a Media Agent (index cache folders) to have it ready for any browse/content indexing or File Level Analytics reports.

The problem with reading index from S3 glacier is, that wouldn’t be cost effective to recall/retrive data unless a restore is required. I’m trying to get details on files/folders before we move in glacier.

I think option1 would be good to index before we aux copy. Thanks for your help on this one !