Solved

Convert the Commvault Commserve from a Microsoft Clustered CommServe to a CommServe with LiveSync

• 13 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

We currently have our CommServe running on a Microsoft Cluster server in a dual datacenter setup. We need to migrate to new datacenters where Microsoft Cluster is not possible / allowed. The idea is to convert the current CommServe from a MS Clustered setup to a CommServer with LiveSync. First migrate the CommServe to a Standalone solution and then setup the LiveSync on the Standalone solution.

My question: Is this possible and what are the setup for this?

Kind regards,

Marc

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 13 April 2022, 13:28

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Marc Fierens 

Thank you for the question and welcome to the Community!

Your process for migration from a clustered Commserve to a LiveSync setup at a high level is fine, de-clustering the Commserve first, then implementing the standby Commserve(s) using LiveSync.

For detailed implementation steps, there is a wealth of documentation available in Documentation.

CommServe LiveSync For High Availability Disaster Recovery

Planning for CommServe LiveSync Setup

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

My only question is why would you bother to de-cluster it prior?

Since its a migration just set up the livesync, bring up the commserve in the new DC, rebuild on the original side on new non-clustered hardware.

Seems much simpler and easier to recover from a failure anywhere in the process.

Badge +1

Since its a migration just set up the livesync, bring up the commserve in the new DC, rebuild on the original side on new non-clustered hardware.

Seems much simpler and easier to recover from a failure anywhere in the process.

Hi, This indeed sounds like an easy solution but livesync is not supported on top of a MS clustered commserve.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi, This indeed sounds like an easy solution but livesync is not supported on top of a MS clustered Commserve.

Fair point. 

Given that I have no clue about your actual on premise-configuration it makes sense to follow CommVaults recommendations. 

BUT,

SQL Livesync is really just log-shipping with extra steps. and you are treating a migration scenario as a DR scenario, or rather combining those two scenarios into one.

Rather taking the step of enabling Livesync and then essentially doing a DR failover, it might make better sense to simply do a standard DR recovery within an outage window.

Then setup livesync in a separate window.

This simplifies things dramatically generally, and it allows you table the process of removing your cluster from within a single outage window.

Essentially with good planning you can knock out a DR recovery in a few hours.

You can then setup live sync de-cluster at your leisure. 

Just my two cents