Question

Copy from disk or tape (store-once) to different tape.

• 27 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello good morning, I need your help, I have made a backup of a Hyper-V which has a Storage Policie with a main copy to disk and retention of 7 days and auxiliary copy to tape with retention of 20 days this operation identified with the Job Id "30030", for this the virtual machines that are within this hyper-v gets a VM job Id. Therefore what I would like to know is if the copy (StoreOnce or tape) of the VM Job Id 30084 VM I can send it to another different tape to which this with a different retention.

I attach images.

this is my Job Id 30030

this is my VM Job Id from which I need to send to a different tape with different retention.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sure thing!

Create a Selective Aux Copy and set the criteria to Manually Select backups:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/119362_adding_selective_storage_copy.html

You can then right-click the Aux copy, select view jobs, then find your job(s), right-click them and select Pick for Copy.

Finally, run the Aux Copy you just created and you’ll be set!

Let me know if this answers your needs!

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Mike, according to my needs, I summarize what I need is from the commcell console, and I explain in a summarized way:
I have a Hyper-V client with 100 virtual machines and with a backup Job Id 30030 and from this job come out the VM Jobs. but specifically I need to take only the VM Job 30084 and not the other VM jobs to pass it to a different tape with a different type of retention, all this should be done from the commcell console as it does not handle plans.

Thank you very much for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the clarification!

To confirm:

• You have a VSA job ID 30030 that contains 300 vms
  • You want to create another copy to ONLY a single vm (Job ID 30084) to another tape

I’m not sure if this is possible, but I’ll find out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

One thought was to try and associate the Pseudo client to the Aux Copy.  Not tested, but that might solve your dillemma!