Question

Data is deleted on Cloud storage even when Object lock and WORM are enabled

• 29 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Use case:

I have enabled Object lock on the Cloud storage bucket (Hitachi Content Platform for Cloud Scale (S3)).

Enabled WORM on Commvault and set the retention for the storage policy.

Result: 

Once the data is backed up I am able to delete the data manually in the Hitachi Content Platform for Cloud Scale (S3) bucket.

Does Commvault does not leverage Object lock ?

Also Can we enable Object lock on Hitachi Content Platform for Cloud Scale (HCPCS) and WORM on Commvault or its Either or case.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Lahari 

Did you enable WORM via the workflow or manually? If the workflow, did it fail when it ran? If manually, did you configure the Object Lock on the storage side or just within Commvault?

The workflow does support enabling Object Lock for HCP storage so it should have set the policy on the HCP side. The Settings within Commvault only prevent changes to the configuration or deleting jobs via the GUI. The Storage Object Lock is what actually prevents deletion of data physcially.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +5

Hello @Collin Harper We enabled WORM manually as Workflow is not supported in 11.30 version. 

If manually, did you configure the Object Lock on the storage side or just within Commvault?

We configured Object lock on Storage side and WORM within Commvault.

Could you let us know how to implement storage object lock feature via commvault.

According to the documentation Manual process shall also set bucket level retention but we are able to delete the data inside our buckets. 

Could you please clarify on above statement?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @Lahari 

Due to changes in 11.30 with how WORM Storage is managed the workflow cannot be used to set up WORM.  Additionally setting object lock manually on S3 storage and WORM Copy in Commvault will not set up the Object Locking either.

To enable CommVault WORM Storage Lock and Compliance Lock please follow this documentation:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/157130_enabling_worm_storage_and_retention_for_cloud_storage.html

Please note that this should be set up prior to writing any data to the storage to avoid conflicting object hold issues which may prevent pruning.

Badge +5

Hi @Josh Perkoff 

We have followed the instructions from the link provided by you (https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/157130_enabling_worm_storage_and_retention_for_cloud_storage.html) we could not find the WORM storage lock option there.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Lahari,

I recommend read well the documentation regarding WORM at disk/cloud library and WORM at storage policy level. 

Look what happened to us:

Do not update to version 11.30 or 11.32 (drama inside)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @Lahari,

Can you confirm what kind of storage is linked to that Storage Pool, as I see it is non-deduplicated.