Skip to main content

I would like to disable the automatic discovery of database instances in my environment.

I found an additional settings that appears to do this but it seems to have an odd caveat

Use this additional setting to disable or allow the automatic database discovery feature for some databases, for example Oracle. If you want to disable the automatic discovery feature for clients, then set the value of this additional setting to 1 before you install the database agent software on the clients. When you use this additional setting with a value of 1 the Commvault software does not discover new databases that you add. Set the additional setting value to 0 to enable the automatic database discovery feature. The default value is 0.

This leads me to believe that this will not disable instance discovery for clients who already have the DB agents installed.

Let me know if this is what I need or if there is another option available.

Thanks.

Chris.

Hi @christopherlecky 

You can also disable the auto discovery by unchecking the “Automatically discover instances” option in the agent properties from CommCell console.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Hi @christopherlecky 

You can also disable the auto discovery by unchecking the “Automatically discover instances” option in the agent properties from CommCell console.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Thank you Sunil, I am aware of that option, but we have to do this for hundreds of servers, as well as for newly provisioned servers.

We have a workflow that can do this, but it would be much simpler to set an additional setting and apply it at the group level.

hi @christopherlecky 

Ok.. let me clarify your above question first. You’re right, that additional setting you mentioned doesn’t remove the auto discovery option of the already installed agents/clients. It prevents setting it to true for the new installations.

However, I can suggest a way around, though it doesn’t look pretty. There is this additional setting which controls the interval between two successive instance discovery operations.

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=nDBDISCOVERYINTERVAL

You can set it long enough to ensure there won’t be another auto discovery for the next few years. Please note, when the services restart on the client, last discover time gets reset to epoch 0, which means 1970-Jan-1. So your additional setting value should be longer than that duration ;)

Thanks,

Sunil-

hi @christopherlecky 

Ok.. let me clarify your above question first. You’re right, that additional setting you mentioned doesn’t remove the auto discovery option of the already installed agents/clients. It prevents setting it to true for the new installations.

However, I can suggest a way around, though it doesn’t look pretty. There is this additional setting which controls the interval between two successive instance discovery operations.

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=nDBDISCOVERYINTERVAL

You can set it long enough to ensure there won’t be another auto discovery for the next few years. Please note, when the services restart on the client, last discover time gets reset to epoch 0, which means 1970-Jan-1. So your additional setting value should be longer than that duration ;)

Thanks,

Sunil-

😂

Awesome. Thanks.