Skip to main content

Hello guys, 

we had issues with DR backups which were failing in the phase of “backup to disk”. We are using cifs share mounted under the D:\ drive and folder D:\DRBackup. As a test, I`ve changed the local drive to a real local drive D:\DRbackup_2 (no cifs share on behind). DR backups were running there fine. So I decided to change configuration back to cifs share mount, but I am getting the error:

Failed to set Backup Metadata Folder] for DR Backup] with error rFailed to save Disaster Recovery Destination in CommServe database because of folder lD:DrBackup] is already being used for Disaster Recovery. ].

When checking commserveDR.log I see several error messages, not sure where to focus
CommservDR::getDbLogUsage() - Failed to get log usage with error r100] for database bTroubleshooting]

EvLogs::GenerateRequestSummary() - XML UnSerialization failed for str ] errorCode=CXML Message unserilization failed]

CommservDR::CopyFileImpersonate() - CQiDirectory::GetSpaceUsage failed to check space on e\\xxx..\DRBackup\SET_2150\] with error r0x8007051F:{CQiDirectory::GetSpaceUsage(494)/W32.1311.(There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. (1311))}]

Upload of backup to metallic cloud is working just fine. 

I also found KB https://kb.commvault.com/article/77144 but this one seems not be my case, as disk library used in CommServeDR is not a unc path. 

Thanks a lot for any advice or opinion.

Hello @lubimkomvolt 

We should not use administrative shares for exporting the DR backup, its also mentioned in the document: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/43517_configuration_of_disaster_recovery_dr_backups.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Hello @lubimkomvolt 

We should not use administrative shares for exporting the DR backup, its also mentioned in the document: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/43517_configuration_of_disaster_recovery_dr_backups.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Hello Rajiv, thx for reaction. As per instruction from your link, staging destination should not be used as administrative share, but export location could. 

Quoting from documentation: 

Export

During the export phase, the software copies a metadata backup of the CommServe database to the default staging directory that is in software_installation_directory\CommserveDR.

Note: The staging directory should not be on a mounted path or should not use a symbolic link. In such cases, contact your software provider to change the default staging directory.

You can specify a local path or a network path as a destination location to export the metadata.”

And the phase where backups are failing is not the staging but “Backup to disk”, which is if I am not mistaken the export phase. 

Hello @lubimkomvolt 

Yes, I wanted to make sure we are up with the restrictions. 

The Phase 1 location is CommCell Specific. When setting this location, if there are existing CommServe DR backups within the target location (Denoted by folders labled with "SET_"), the change to the directory will fail with the following error:

Failed to set tBackup Metadata Folder] for rDR Backup] with error rFailed to save Disaster Recovery Destination in CommServe database because of folder rD:DrBackup] is already being used for Disaster Recovery. ].

This is caused by a check within the Commvault environment to ensure that the Phase 1 location is not in use by another CommCell. If you have confirmed that no other CommCell is using this directory for Phase 1 of the DR backup, this error can be resolved by temporarily moving all SET_ folders to another location, making the change to the DR location within Control Panel > DR Backup Settings, then moving the SET_ back to their original directory.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Hello Rajiv, 

thanks a lot for advice. I`ve moved out backup folders and fresh DR backup finished successfully.