Skip to main content

We have been approached by a customer who has an old implementation of Commvault that they want to decommission. To do this, they want to recover any accessible data and then turn everything off.

The Commvault environment has not been access in a few years so I’m stuck with the below issue.

I’ve managed to get everything working, except Exchange mailbox restores.

They are running V11 SP10 with an expired license. File level recoveries are working fine.

When I try to recover a mailbox as a pst file, i noticed that a destination client must have the Exchange Mailbox (classic) agent installed to be available on the drop down list.

I also installed the outlook client on the destination client without configuring anything.

When I try to recover using the method below, I get 2 errors.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=29025.htm

One is in the Commcell event viewer that says logon failed and the second is in the job itself which states that the destination isn’t accessible due to a network error.

Does the Exchange Mailbox (classic) agent need to be configured on the destination client as an Exchange Server and a mailbox configured?

My understanding was that if the destination has the outlook client installed, the restore as PST would simply restore the file.

With no support available, logging a support case won’t be possible, so hoping someone has some ideas to assist me?

Thanks so much,

Mauro

@Mauro 

“My understanding was that if the destination has the outlook client installed, the restore as PST would simply restore the file.”

No you would still need the mailbox agent installed. The restore binaries are included in the mailbox package that allows the recovery. 

@Mauro

“My understanding was that if the destination has the outlook client installed, the restore as PST would simply restore the file.”

No you would still need the mailbox agent installed. The restore binaries are included in the mailbox package that allows the recovery. 

Hi Scott

That’s how I understand it too, however it seems that with no Exchange Mailbox (Classic) agent installed on the destination, the option to restore to the client isn’t available for selection.

Once this is done, and I run the restore, I see the following error in the Commcell Event Viewer:

The job restore error shows me the below (Restoring directly to the Media Agent so no network is actually invovled.

I was wondering if this has something to do with the Mailbox Agent Configuration?

Below is what is configured on the source client (which no longer exists). Would the Exchange Admin Account details play a role in the logon error I see? Would I need to configure these settings in the destination client (in this case the Media Agent I’m restoring to).

I have got the job logs which I’m going through will can post them later if anyone is interested?