Skip to main content

Hello Commvault Community,

I would like to know about the type of operation in the /Base/JobControl directory and the contents stored there.

The environment runs on ServicePack 28 (Commvault Platform Release 2022E)

Scenario:

- I have a production server with a database CV agent installed
- Schedule Policy based on weekly full backups and frequent incremental backups (logs - 30 minutes for example)
- The backup jobs themselves perform and finish fine, they dont report any errors/failures

On the production server, in the /opt/commvault/xyz/base/jobcontrol directory, there are hundreds/thousands of small 1KB files called e.g. 0.01, 1.75, 2.35, etc., which are not cleaned up after the job is completed.

Some of these files are kept for many months and are not deleted.
What is in these files and should they be kept for so long or should they be deleted after the backup job is completed?

I am afraid that after some time the number of these files will grow so large that there will be no space.

Thanks,
Kamil

Hello @Kamil 

The files under JobResultsDirectory are updated with each backup and these contains the metadata and are also referenced when the next backup runs. The Job Results Directory stores the job results files that are created when a job is initiated.

By default, job results are pruned from the client computer after 7 days. If you want to change it, you can follow: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/6581_pruning_job_results.html

If you are worried about the size of the Job Results, you can always change the default path: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/6588_changing_path_of_job_results_directory.html

To end with, if you want  to calculate a basic size requirement for the Job Results directory, you can refer the examples and the formula here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/6599_job_results_directory_disk_space_calculation.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Hello @Rajiv 

Thank you for your help and explanation, I'm afraid it's not about the JobResults Directory, but the JobControl directory where files are temporarily created and then deleted after the task is completed. (for correct operation, it should look like this)

I'm trying to understand this process and why these files haven't been deleted on one of the production servers for many months.

The JobResults directory is at this path: (there is nothing disturbing there)

/opt/commvault/xyz/iDataAgent/jobResults

And the directory where thousands of 1KB files are located is here:

/opt/commvault/xyz/Base64/JobControl

Example of existing files in JobControl directory: rA snippet of a few in a different place on the laptop because I can't show more (security reasons)]

Thanks,
Kamil

Hello @Kamil 

This folder is where JobManager (CommServe processes that manages jobs and activity) stores metadata in the form of these lock files. 

Is there a concern here or were you just wondering what these files are? This directory and its files should never be touched, deleted, or modified.

Thank you,
Collin

Hello @Collin Harper 

Thanks for reply.

This problem with thousands of 1KB files occurs on the production server (Client in CommCell enviroment) where one of the database agents is located. An example of the files that appear in the previous message, there are thousands of them and they are not deleted.

I checked in another test environment and on all components that are part of the CommCell environment there is a directory /Base/JobControl and files are created there at the beginning of the backup job, e.g. 19.28, 23.13 etc. and after the task is completed they are deleted, but on this one production server with a database are created but not deleted!

I noticed in the Commvault logs that access to this server is very limited (ports that do not need to be open are completely cut out, communication works at a minimum), I also see entries in the logs that the system reports about small amount of space for the directories with logs, jobresults and for temp directory.

Could this be the direct cause why these files in the /base/jobcontrol/ directory are created but not deleted after the job is completed?

Thanks,
Kamil

Hello @Kamil 

It may be best to get a Support case opened with our Server Team to discuss and review.

Thank you,
Collin

Hello,

For those interested in this topic, the issue was analyzed by Commvault technical support and a fix was developed for this issue - the fix was included in Maintenance Release 11.28.105

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/files/service_pack/updates/11_28_106.htm

Kind Regards,
Kamil