Skip to main content
Solved

File with the same name already exists. Cannot create a new file.

• 5 July 2024
  • 4 replies

So for the last couple weeks, we've been seeing an add error ("Mount Error") with our media agent and its fiber connected drives:  

Media Label:  CV_MAGNETIC
Failure Reason:  "A file with the same name already exists.  Cannot create a new file"

Information:  We have new equipment on order to replace this server.  But for the moment, we have an 8 gib fiber connection to carry everything in and out of this system (IP traffic, fiber connected drives (25+).  It's pretty clear to me that the pipe is full.  But, we've never seen this issue before.  

Unfortuantely, it doesn’t have an error code, it appears to be a straight up “hey, something’s wrong with your datastore where you save 

I’ve got a ticket in regarding the error.  Anyone else have any clues about how we should look at this?  I”m not sure which log to start with as there isn’t an error code to start me off.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello @roc_tor 

Can you please advise your CV version please?

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

This is version 11.28.100...

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello @roc_tor 

I have seen this error in the past and it is caused by the following: 

• When Commvault writes anything to disk we wait for the acknowledgement from the disk library that the write was successful.
  • This is a very critical part of the write and we have a number of catch's in place as if this fails in anyway but somehow Commvault thinks it was successful it can cause large scale issues. 
  • In some cases the storage write speed is slow and the CV hits its timeout for waiting on acknowledgement that it is written the data and we try it again later. 

During our timeout attempt and reattempt the storage has finished the write request and now the file is present. 

I would start by looking into the health of the storage and if there are some delays or anything like that. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thank you, @Albert Williams.  This is the answer I was looking for.  

Best wishes!