Skip to main content
Question

Full VM Restore with a specific MAC Address in a different project?

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am trying to restore a VM with OpenStack in a different project. I am trying to do a kind of “Disaster Recovery” solution, so I would like to restore the VM with the same network interface configuration.

I can not find any option about how to set the MAC Address and the IP address when I am restoring it. Could anyone give me any advice?

Good afternoon.  While you should be able to set the IP address as one of the restore options, there is no setting to configure the MAC address .  This is what is available for restore settings for networking in FR28:

Security group: Select a predefined security group that defines the required network access.

Key pair: Select a key pair that identifies the ownership for the converted instance.

Network interface: Select a network interface that is available in the destination. 

ttps://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/87267_restoring_full_instances_for_openstack.html 

I’m not really sure about OpenStack but on VMware it always tried to retain the MAC address on a restore. If there is a conflict (same MAC already exists) then a new one is generated.

It could be the same logic for OpenStack - not sure what you are seeing at the moment?

Thank you guys,

It looks like it does not work the same in OpenStack because I always get a new MAC address. Maybe because is a different project so it creates a completly new port.

Do you know if there is an option to set the MAC address via API by configuring the nic parameters?

A “mac” option or something similar?