Skip to main content
Solved

Global CommCell/Global Repository Cell Hardware Refresh

• 10 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Good Day Dear Community,

I have a customer having several CommCells that they are using a main CommCell to manage all licenses of their CommCells. So I could not figure out if this is through a Global CommCell or a GRC (Global ComMCell Repository). But now I need to do a hardware refresh of their main CommServe.

So either if they’re using GRC or Global, is the CommServe hardware refresh the same as a traditional CommServe? Or is there something else I should be aware of?

I plan on using a simple backup/restore of the CommServe server on a server with same hostname/IP.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Carl Brault,

Based on your description, it sounds like we’re talking about a Parent License Server Commserve that’s serving up licenses to multiple Child Commcells.  In this configuration, you don’t need to treat it any differently than you would any other CommServe.

I say that because you made mention that the new server is going to have the same hostname and IP address as the current server.  If you were to have said that it would have a different hostname, there would be an additional step that would need to be performed after the hardware refresh.

In order for Child Commcells in a License Server configuration to perform backups, they need to validate their license usage against the Parent License Server.  This is done via the daily Metrics Uploads that are configured to be performed.  If the hostname of the License Server were to change, then it would be imperative that the Child Commcells have their Metrics Upload URL’s updated to reflect that change.  If those Metrics Uploads were to fail due to the hostname being incorrect, they would not be able to obtain license information, and thus their backups would all begin to fail with Licensing errors.

Given what you told me about this configuration, there shouldn’t be any other concerns outside of normal Commserve Hardware Refresh steps.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thank you @Brian Bruno ,

You rock as always!

I’ll pass that information along to the customer.

Have a great day.