Skip to main content

Hi folks,

We’re planning on performing a hardware refresh for a CommServe on a Windows Server 2012 box, to a 2019 box AND a software version upgrade from FR 11.24 to 2022E. On the current CommServe, we have a SQL Server 2014 SP3 installed and it’s not compatible both with Windows Server 2019 AND platform release 2022E. We were thinking we could first make a clean install of 2022E on the Windows Server 2019 WITH the SQL Server 2019 database and perform a DR backup restore afterwards.

So, the question is: can a DR backup be restored on a different version of the SQL Server database? In our case from SQL Server 2014 SP3 to SQL Server 2019. If not, what would you suggest we do in this situation?

Thanks for your time!

Yes hardware refresh document would be helpful in this case. When you install  2022E on new machine it will automatically install SQL 2019.https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/4739_commserve_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Also you should be able to restore DB from SQL 2014 to SQL 2019. 

@DJoshi Thanks for the answer, this confirms what I thought. It wasn’t clear to me when reading the docs if there was an upgrade path like upgrading to SQL 2016 first and then move to SQL 2019. I will restore directly to 2019.

Hi LukeBrett,

just to add: During installation of the new 2022E CommServe with SQL 2019, the CommServe setup allows you to select “Use existing database” instead of creating a new empty one. With this option, you may point to the DR Backup files created from the old SQL 2014 CommServe, and the setup will automatically convert the old DB to SQL 2019 format and integrate it into the new CommServe. This will spare you the extra task to restore the DB afterwards and your CommServe will be ready for production after setup.

Regards,

Markus

@MarkusBaumhardt Thanks a lot for the info, this is really appreciated!