Skip to main content

Please your valuable help, as I am trying to install commvault on the following client with the roles of: MediaAgent. FileSystem, File System Core. This client meets all the requirements correctly, but I get the following error: "Error: Failed to install File System Core with error code 0x80070643."
I am also attaching the logs for your review.
Thank you very much for your help. Blessings.

Let us know if this helps:

Symptoms

In certain circumstances the Commvault Client software may fail to install/upgrade with the following example error being seen in the install log:

3456 1 09/30 12:02:10 ### ### ### - Error: Failed to install File System(WindowsFileSystemiDataAgentAdvanced) with error code 0x80070643.
3456 1 09/30 12:02:10 ### ### ### - Set application exit code==Failed]
3456 1 09/30 12:02:10 ### ### ### - Apply packages completed ... Status = -2147023293
3456 1 09/30 12:02:10 ### ### ### - Error: Installation failed. Please check the logs at C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Log Files].
3456 1 09/30 12:02:10 ### ### ### - Set application exit code==FailedInstallPackage]

When checking the Windows Application Event Log the following example error may be seen for the MSIInstaller:

Product: WindowsFileSystemiDataAgentAdvanced Instance001 -- Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\CFD701F133D00355A9C40823A11307E7\72CBF266E7A525842BC1031FBFFF08D9. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Resolution

This issue is occurring because the Windows MSI Installer is unable to access the registry keys required for the install/upgrade. To reset the installer permissions in the registry do the following:

1) Download and extract on the server with the issue the PsExec.exe:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

2) From an Admin Command Prompt within the location you extracted the .exe use the following syntax to launch the registry editor as the SYSTEM account:

psexec -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

3) Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components

4) Right click the Components key and select Permissions
5) Click on Advanced
6) Enable the check box Replace all child permissions entries with inheritable permissions from this object.

7) Click OK to all open windows and confirm to apply permissions
8) Exit the registry editor and re-run the Commvault Client software Setup.exe

Hello, 

I was checking the errors in the " Event Viewer", and the mentioned error was not found, but I found the one I attached in a notepad.

Thank you very much for your help.

The MSI Overlapping I/O error is related to a similar challenge but instead with c:\program data\Microsoft\crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 folder. 

In File Explorer, right click on the folder, select Properties and add a folder permission to it for "SYSTEM" and grant it "Full Control". Others have found that renaming the folder also works, as the MSI installer will re-create it. The folder potentially has RSA Private Keys, so we do not recommend deleting the folder, even though that is a solution that can be found on the internet. 

Thank you for you help ✌️