Question

How to display clients with backup activity disabled

• 21 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hello all!

We are trying to create a group in Commvault for all hosts which have backup activity disabled.

We do have found this setting:

But a problem is that if machine contains agent backup types “inside” itself and backup is disbaled on agent level it won't show in this group.

For example - if server SVR001 contains SQL and File System backup and we will disable ONLY File System backup on SVR001 it wont show in group which will be configured as screenshot above shows.

My question is - how to show all disabled backups? No matter if backup is disabled at Client Level, or at agent level.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Grzegorz - there is a report in the store that should show what you need.

can download here - https://store.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/663/11250

importing reports is explained here - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/importing_report_templates_01.html

Badge +4

Many thanks for Your tip! I will check it :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Gseibak,

Another solution with a report in stead of built in logic that just works.

Could you please check internally why the built in logic cannot be used?

Thanks!

Badge +4

Hi!

What do You mean by “built in logic”? Group filter in Commvault Java console?

But a problem is that if machine contains agent backup types “inside” itself and backup is disbaled on agent level it won't show in this group.

For example - if server SVR001 contains SQL and File System backup and we will disable ONLY File System backup on SVR001 it wont show in group which will be configured as screenshot above shows.

It won't show any clients which does have few agent type backups within, and just one single agent type is disabled.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Grzegorz,

It was a generic remark regarding the way Commvault thinks they have a solution for anything. There is a (custom) report for that or there is a (custom) workflow for that.

It is very bad end user experience if you try to do something in Command Center (or if you are privileged enough to still have the java GUI) that you need to run a report or workflow to get basic administrative tasks done.

Like your example, you want to create a server group with a simple logic: `Activity disabled` = `true`. This should list all entities in Commvault that at a certain level have activity disabled. However that does not exist, in stead they have a custom report you can run, which bypasses the use case as you can run alerting and other logic on the server group which is not possible with a report.

It just baffles me how 80+% of the Commvault solutions is a (custom) report/workflow. It then takes ages and a lot of discussions / pushing to get this logic available on the place it is needed.

my 0.02

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@mikevg  - thanks for your comments here and I will see if we can get more granular here on which entities are disabled how to handle, but you can certainly set alerts on reports as well.

@Grzegorz  - what is your use case here? is it to just generate a list or are you using this to go further with other actions. If it's just to list then the report will help sense here because you can schedule it to run or put it on a main dashboard for viewing. You can also setup alerts based on the content of the report if needed.