Question

How to get rid of warnings " Unable to start SnapDiff V3 session. Please check if RPC is enabled and if there is a data network interface configured for NFS on vserver [xxxxxxxxx]. "

Badge +2

Hello,

Does anybody knows how to get rid of the following warnings we got during CIFS/NFS servers backup:
" Unable to start SnapDiff V3 session. Please check if RPC is enabled and if there is a data network interface configured for NFS on vserver [xxxxxxxxx]. "

-→ Some SVMs have NFS enabled on LIFs, then I enabled RPC on those SVMs and after that warnings disappeared.
-→ On the contrary, some SVMs have only LIFs with CIFS enabled, then these messages are still there days after days, even if RPC is enabled.
I will not be obliged to add NFS as a data protocol to solve this “issue “ ? It does not makes sense...

We are running ONTAP 9.9.1P11 and Commvault 11.28.32 (2022E).

Thank you in advance.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @RC23,

I saw as similar case before caused by the backup running under an ‘all agents’ schedule - meaning its was not tailored specific to the data/application type. Try remove one of the problematic subclients from this schedule and re-create with the NDMP schedule type and see if that resolves the issue.

Badge +2

Hello @Damian Andre,

Thank you for your quick response.
The schedule used is shared between 15 clients:

But agent type is “ NDMP “:

If I correctly understood, your recommendation is to split problematic clients and non-problematic clients across separate schedules ?

Regards.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

We have the same issue with failing NDMP backups. CV11.30 ONTAP9.13. We have a SMB/CIFS vserver and all I see are articles about making sure NFS is enabled. How is that possible if the protocol being used is not NFS? 

If I disable “skip catalog phase for IntelliSNap Operations”, under advance in the schedule, the error goes away but then nothing at all gets backed up. If I enable the option, I get the same “Unable to start SnapDiff V3 session” failures for all CIFS volumes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

This KB is not very good. https://kb.commvault.com/article/80259 Has anyone solved it using this KB?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @tsmtmiller @RC23 ,

It sounds as though you are both performing NAS backups leveraging a Windows Proxy to protect these shares as CIFS.
Can you let me know when creating the schedule, if selecting Agent Type ‘Windows File System’ behaves differently?

Cheers,
Jason

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @tsmtmiller @RC23 ,

It sounds as though you are both performing NAS backups leveraging a Windows Proxy to protect these shares as CIFS.
Can you let me know when creating the schedule, if selecting Agent Type ‘Windows File System’ behaves differently?

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the response. If I change the Agent Type to Windows File System it fails right away saying no eligable subclients found. This WAS working on ONTAP 9.6. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @tsmtmiller @RC23 ,

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the response. If I change the Agent Type to Windows File System it fails right away saying no eligable subclients found. This WAS working on ONTAP 9.6. 

Thanks @tsmtmiller  

Can you help confirm;

• Is your backup a NFS/CIFS backup of the NetApp array or are you performing it via the NDMP Agent?
  • Have you configured the Cluster within Array Management?
  • Does the Vserver we trigger the backup from have a tunnel into the Cluster?
  • Can you provide output of the “vserver snapdiff-rpc-server show -vserver <vserver>” output?

My understanding is, we’re leveraging SnapDiff to perform the indexing process, however with the changes to SnapDiff V1, V2 and V3, licensing from NetApp tightened up some of the functionality we can perform and as such, we revert back to Recurssive Scan.

If the above request does not highlight any missed configuration, than we may need to get a support case raised to allow us to review what is happening at the logs and if this error can be surpressed some other way.

Cheers,
Jase

Badge +2

Dear all,

In a nutshell, to solve this issue we performed the following steps:
 - Manage SVMs through cluster in Commvault.
 - Enable RPC on desired SVMs.
 - Identify SVM LIF used by Commvault to backup data via NDMP (DNS alias).
 - Enable NFS on that LIF.
 - In case a SVM is located in DMZ, allow communication on TCP port 2049 (NFS) from Commserve to that LIF through firewall. 

Have a nice evening.
Regards 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @tsmtmiller @RC23 ,

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks @tsmtmiller  

Can you help confirm;

• Is your backup a NFS/CIFS backup of the NetApp array or are you performing it via the NDMP Agent?
  • Have you configured the Cluster within Array Management?
  • Does the Vserver we trigger the backup from have a tunnel into the Cluster?
  • Can you provide output of the “vserver snapdiff-rpc-server show -vserver <vserver>” output?

My understanding is, we’re leveraging SnapDiff to perform the indexing process, however with the changes to SnapDiff V1, V2 and V3, licensing from NetApp tightened up some of the functionality we can perform and as such, we revert back to Recurssive Scan.

If the above request does not highlight any missed configuration, than we may need to get a support case raised to allow us to review what is happening at the logs and if this error can be surpressed some other way.

Cheers,
Jase

Hello, I am going to try to enable the NFS protocol on the vserver. (Even though its using the NDMP agent for SMB/CIFS backups.) We went from 9.6 to 9.13 and things were working in 9.6. I enabled the RPC server already. There is no tunnel. The only thing left is the NFS protocol.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Dear all,

In a nutshell, to solve this issue we performed the following steps:
 - Manage SVMs through cluster in Commvault.
 - Enable RPC on desired SVMs.
 - Identify SVM LIF used by Commvault to backup data via NDMP (DNS alias).
 - Enable NFS on that LIF.
 - In case a SVM is located in DMZ, allow communication on TCP port 2049 (NFS) from Commserve to that LIF through firewall. 

Have a nice evening.
Regards 

Hello I think we got it. In addition to above, we 

- Assigned service policy to LIF 

Configure LIF service policies (netapp.com)

network interface modify -vserver <svm_name> -lif <lif_name> -service-policy <service_policy_name>

Also NFS had to be enabled via the cmd line as it wouldn’t work through the GUI