Skip to main content

Hello!

Could you say pleas, if is it possible to export/import some backup from commvault? So that I could use it later without source commvault, by importing backup it to different commvault environment or using some native restore tools of restored application. 

@AndresL 

Could you please check the below BOL?
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5085_use_cases_and_operations_for_commcell_migration.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5096_performing_commcell_migration.html

Thank you for answer. This is about migration, but I’m searching export possibilities.

Probably better to describe use case:

I need to store backup performed by Commvault, for years, outside of Commvault environment in form of files, so that it would be possible to import it back on different freshly deployed Commvault instance. Is it possible?

The metadata from the Source commcell should be present in order to restore the files back in the future to a different/ destination commcell.

Commvault stores the data in the form of chunks. You can’t keep the chunks outside the Commvault environment and restore them back after years on to a different Commvault environment.

The metadata from the Source commcell should be present in order to restore the files back in the future to a different/ destination commcell.

Commvault stores the data in the form of chunks. You can’t keep the chunks outside the Commvault environment and restore them back after years on to a different Commvault environment.

Can you suggest how to store chunks for deduplicated storage policies ? 

Hello!

Could you say pleas, if is it possible to export/import some backup from commvault? So that I could use it later without source commvault, by importing backup it to different commvault environment or using some native restore tools of restored application. 

Hi @AndresL 

Which application you’re referring to here in particular? For some applications there is functionality available to restore to disk instead of restoring directly to the application.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Hello @AndresL 

If you want to move data to another CommCell you would need to use the CommCell Migration as noted by Nutan. If you want to restore data without Commvault, this is not possible since the data is written in a proprietary format and requires the Metadata within the CommServe SQL Database to be recoverable.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you,
Collin