Question

Index v2 virtual server subclient collect files

• 28 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

hi all.

i got fresh commvault install 11.28 (2022e)

by default i see that i have index v2 for everything.

setup hyper-v client and i cannot see option to “collect file details” in subclient properties of virtual server in comcell console.

found option “Index files after backup” in web command center “Protect” → ‘Virtualization” → “VM Groups”. where VM groups = subclient in comcell console.

is this the new and the only way to enable this in command center? no more option in comcell? 

8 replies

Badge +1

also i found that after i enable “index files after backup” it installed media agent and storage accelerator features into hyper-v node. and start to index files directly on hyper-v host after backup using separate process and virtual disk mount.

why?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi satsugaer,

this is expected behaviour because VSA v2 doesn’t support creating the catalog (Index) of files during the VSA backup itself, but instead requires LiveBrowse. That’s why it is a separate process. So, its not related to version 11.28 but to Indexing v2 for VSA in general, regardless of the Commvault release.

Badge +1

but why it do live browse directly on host ? can it be changed to index on media agent after backup?

currently to do this, it install media agent role into hyper-v host.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

It needs the VSA Proxy to read from the backups for index creation, and with Hyper-V it is always one of the cluster nodes. That’s how VSA for Hyper-V works. It cannot be done on a machine outside of the Hyper-V cluster.

Badge +1

so the only way to get rid of media agent role on hyper-v host is to use index v1 ? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

No, even in that case the MediaAgent binaries will be needed on the Hyper-V host that has the role of a VSA Proxy in the Hyper-V cluster because the VSA agent needs those binaries, and they will automatically be installed along with the VSA agent. However, that was always the case, also in previous releases.

Badge +1

that is not true.

on old installation i have hyper-v with only this packages and index v1. indexing guest files works well and don’t use hyper-v host for it.

and i also use this option

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Yes it is true. The MediaAgent binaries are installed, trust me. They are just hidden in previous releases.

The process for collecting file details with Indexing v1 is a completely different process and is done on the fly. This is not supported with Indexing v2, so we need to utilize LiveBrowse.