Skip to main content

In the following site IntelliSnap Protection for VMs on VVol or VSAN/VxRail Datastores (commvault.com), it is mentioned under Considerations the following point:

• You can only perform a live browse or restore operation for files on guest VM RAID-5 volumes from a backup copy. File restores for RAID-5 volumes are not supported from a snap copy.

Can you please elaborate a bit this sentence? 

Does it mean that we cannot perform file restore with backup of vSAN datastore if we do not have a backup copy? Why RAID-5 volumes?

Thanks & Regards

Good afternoon.  You can not  do it from the Snap Copy. You would need to backup copy it if RAID-5 Volumes are in use. as to why that is the case i have no idea but will try to find some answers as to the why.  I will update this thread once I have some information.

Many thanks @Orazan for your answer.

It means that if the volumes are NOT configured in RAID-5 you can do a restore of files from a snap copy. Correct?

Indeed, it would be interesting to know why we cannot do it with RAID-5 volumes. 

Many thanks for your investigations.

Hello @Orazan , Any information about why “You can only perform a live browse or restore operation for files on guest VM RAID-5 volumes from a backup copy. File restores for RAID-5 volumes are not supported from a snap copy.”

Many thanks

Regards

I can not say for sure why we could not code this to be supported.  I would imagine it is related to the read operation that we would have to perform against the volume from the snapshot.