Skip to main content

Hi,

currently I am testing to establish a backup configuration for M365 backup.

In my setup the CommServe itself has no internet access. The access node for M365 is able to access the internet. When I try to setup the configuration with the “Office 365 configuration helper” everything is working so far. But if I try to get the content from M365 or if I try to validate the setup, I am not able to finish it.

In firewall logs, I see that the CommServe is trying to open Port 443 to several IP addreses in the internet.

When I open internet access for the initial setup of Exchange Online, I am able to finish the setup and after closing the ports I am still able to backup. So it seems only the validation is not working.

Since opening that ports in my productive environment is not an option, I’d like to ask you, if there is any workaround possible, to create a working environment without opening the ports.

Do you have any idea?

BR
Jan

This is expected behavior as the Web Console/CommServe is used to make a connection to M365 when using Express Mode to create Azure Apps.  Once the apps are set up, the connections will be made from the access nodes only.

You would need to manually create the Azure Apps per documentation.

Hi Orazan,

thx for the reply. I also tried the manually way to create the Azure apps, but this didn’t work as well.
Should it work without the need to connect the CommServe to the internet?

BR
Jan

@JanR When leveraging the express config the web server (probably same as Commserve) needs internet access. However if the Commserve does not have access you can use the custom config and it should work the only machine that needs internet access is the access node(s) that access the data from 365.

If it did not work I am guessing the apps were not property created.