Question

Media agency constantly goes offline! Urgent please help

• 1 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

The media agent goes offline after a while. Restarting the services on the media agent resolves the problem temporarily, but it goes offline again after some time. All server groups are in the same VLAN. 

We recently transitioned to this system, using Exagrid84 as the backup storage. I have two media agents, one virtual and the other physical (named comm-media and comm-media1, respectively). This setup has been working smoothly for about 2 months. In an effort to reduce backup times, I prepared another virtual media agent and added it to Commvault. However, when I shared it as a third media agent to the Exagrid84 mount paths, both the paths and the comm-media agent went offline.

While installing the Commvault agent on the third virtual machine, despite having .NET 4.7 on a Windows Server 2016, it prompted an error saying it should be version 3.5. Upon checking the working comm-media server, I noticed it wasn't installed, so I installed .NET 3.5 on both machines. Later, suspecting this could be the source of the problem, I removed these features.

After some time into the backup processes, I encounter the following error. However, there doesn't seem to be any issue with communication between the machines and Exagrid through the network, as I can perform file transfer tests successfully between them via Windows Server.

Actions taken to resolve the issue:

Temporarily disabled the third machine.
Updated the media agents.
Restarted services and servers.
Despite these efforts, the comm-media agent still goes offline after a while, whether backups are initiated or not. I am unable to find a solution to this issue. Urgent assistance is needed.

4 replies

Badge

Hello Cihat,

Please may ask that you open a support ticket with us to review logs and provide next steps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @cihat 

Can you check Event Viewer > SMBClient logs on the MediaAgents for any errors referring to this UNC Path? I see we’re getting a Timeout while trying to access it. This usually indicates a networking issue between Windows and the UNC File Server 10.34.2.53.

You can also check SMBServer logs on 10.34.2.53 to see if there are any issues being reported on the hosting side as well.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +3

Hello @cihat 

Can you check Event Viewer > SMBClient logs on the MediaAgents for any errors referring to this UNC Path? I see we’re getting a Timeout while trying to access it. This usually indicates a networking issue between Windows and the UNC File Server 10.34.2.53.

You can also check SMBServer logs on 10.34.2.53 to see if there are any issues being reported on the hosting side as well.

Thank you,
Collin

hi,

Yes, errors are occurring due to a timeout, but I can't figure out what the cause is. Could it be related to installing or uninstalling .NET 3.5?

The virtual machine comm-media on the right is offline, and the physical machine comm-media1 is on the left. Is the cause of the error here simply a timeout on Commvault? What should we understand from this? The IPs 10.34.2.53-50 are the Exagrid84 itself. When the Commvault agent is offline, I can still test communication with Exagrid from the comm-media Windows server.

In the meantime, the physical machine comm-media1 running Windows Server 2019 remains online, and backups can be successfully taken through that agent. I am confident that the issue lies with the virtual Windows Server 2016 machine, comm-media.

As a solution, installing a new Windows Server 2016, adding it as a new agent, and testing could be a viable option. Do you think this would work?

Badge +3

This issue has been resolved. Despite my attempts to repair the Media Agent application, the problem persisted. However, when it was completely uninstalled and reinstalled, the issue was resolved. I was surprised that it was resolved so easily because I had not performed any actions related to the Commvault application on the media agent.

We fixed the issue with the case we opened with the Commvault engineer. Thank you.