Skip to main content

Latest v11.28.44.

I’m backing up some Windows File iDA agents and some UNC locations to a disk library on a server that is to be retired.

The old server had 12 individual volumes each presented as a mount path.

We’re using Global DDB and there is about 50TB of physical storage consumed on the old library.

The new server is running Server 2022 and ideally I want the disk library under a nice simple “Backups” folder on a single ReFS 64KB cluster size volume on the new MA.

Whilst the volumes on the new MA are BitLocker encrypted we’d also like to use Commvault encryption.

So what I think I can do is either move the existing mount points to the new hardware but I end up with 12 mount paths under the “Backups” folder or setup a new library with a single mount path and aux copy the data to it and then switch it to primary.

Two questions.

• Which of these is the better option if I want to enable encryption on all the backup storage and what’s the right/best place to enable encryption in Commvault so anything hitting this library gets encrypted please?
  • Presumably the is no way to setup a totally new library without running a new full backup of all clients when it’s promoted to be primary?

Thank you 😀

Hi Paul

Thank you for the detailed information.

The best approach is to create a new library with single mount path, configure a new secondary Storage policy copy and perform Aux copy, this will ensure that the data is copied to a single folder on the library.

• Encryption can be enabled on the Storage policy copy level in order for all the jobs to be encrypted.
  • Ensure there are no “to be copied” jobs before promoting secondary copy to primary.  
  • There is no need to run a full backup for each sub client post promotion.

Regards

Venu Kondabathini

Venu thank you, I’ve had some really good info from support and contacts and where I am now is that I’ve created a new storage pool using the new MA with a new Global DDB using 2x DDB partitions on NVME.

Then I’ve added 4x 20TB maglib volumes.

I know you could do it with a single mount path but on balance I decided to try and have some fault tolerance at the library/mount path level.

I also enabled AES encryption on the storage pool.

I’m waiting for an aux to tape to finish but then I intend to add the new storage pool to the existing storage policy and wait for the initial aux copy to run then promote it.

All seems simple enough 😀

Anything I’m missing here?

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear everything progressing well.  You are on the right track. Please call our hotline if you need any technical assistance.

Regards

Venu Kondabhathini