Question

Mix and Match Linux/Windows Media Agents?

• 19 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Getting ready to deploy Commvault Media Agents to AWS EC2 instances.   A pair of Media Agents should do the job.     We have several sets of Windows or RedHat Media Agents in our environment.   Going with a pair of Windows Media Agents would require us to have a File Recovery Enabler for Linux VM, too.   Going with a pair of Linux Media Agents might require us to deploy a Windows proxy/access node VM.  

Are we able to roll out a mixed pair of Media Agents, instead?     One Windows Media Agent, One Linux Media Agent.   Same global DDB.   

I can’t find anything on it.  Curious to hear thoughts.   

Thanks!

3 replies

@DaysAndCycles  - it’s not something customers normally do and one thing to mention in addition - is if using Dedupe its recommended to use the same OS as outlined here - Deduplication Building Block Guide (commvault.com)

• For partitioned DDB, host each DDB on different physical drives for better performance.

• When hosting the DDB on different MediaAgents, ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type, with 64-bit version, and the MediaAgents are online.

Interestingly, I can’t find the “ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type” after 11.16.    It’s entirely impossible that it’s stated in a slightly different way elsewhere.   

I’ll ask our Commvault team for some guidance on this (they’re the ones who have to support us when we get jammed up!)   :D  

Thanks, folks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@DaysAndCycles  - it’s not something customers normally do and one thing to mention in addition - is if using Dedupe its recommended to use the same OS as outlined here - Deduplication Building Block Guide (commvault.com)

• For partitioned DDB, host each DDB on different physical drives for better performance.

• When hosting the DDB on different MediaAgents, ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type, with 64-bit version, and the MediaAgents are online.

These days with 3dnfs (DataServerIP) there should not be an issue in mixing them. The below, on the other hand, is quite important when deploying Media Agents:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/deduplication_building_block_guide.html