Question

MongoDB test restore method

• 19 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

I’m currently doing MongoDB sharded cluster implementation. I manage to backup the sharded and config server, now trying to do some test restore.

Is there any ways that I can simplify the process, without affecting the production server.

I understand that I can do out of place restore, but I do need to prepare another set of mongodb server which currently I’m having difficulty to provide the resources.

The “Restore files only” option, can I use this to test the restore to another path within the production server? Will this option shutdown the server?

regards,

Fauzi

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Fauzi Japri Fauzi,

Thanks for the great question!

The following is the documentation around out of place restores:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/restoring_mongodb_cluster_to_different_cluster_out_of_place.html

In this we are able to perform a restore to a separate cluster as a test, if you can use the existing nodes you have to build a secondary test cluster and restore into it as a POC for a restore? 

If this cannot be done you could create a test database with some mock data and then protect/restore that as a proof restores work. 

I hope this helps you answer how to do a test restore. 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/granular_restores_for_mongodb.html

Kind regards
Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Albert,

The mongodb needs to be test restore from the production backup. So I cannot use mock db to show it works.

If I created secondary test cluster attached to the existing, the restore will shutdown the mongodb server in order to restore the data right? If possible I don’t want to interrupt the production.

For granular restore, how does it actually works? This will only restore files without shutdown the mongodb server? What does it mean “After the restore operation is complete, the server is deleted.”

regards,

Fauzi