Skip to main content

Good morning,

We have 2 sets of databases that need to by in sync in terms of their refresh times.  I’ll call them “ERP” and “APPS”.  The “ERP” databases will remain on Oracle for some time, but the “APPS” we are moving to MS SQL. We currently use Oracle with ZFS to snap development refreshes on a periodic but sometimes changing schedule. 

We have this entire process automated via OS scripts that check for a trigger, and when found, consume this “trigger” file and proceed with the recreates, which dump and reload development users and permissions during the process.

The “APPS” db has ~ 100 schemas, and our plan is to convert these into 100 MS SQL databases.  After this DB is migrated, I need to have them refreshed on a known but sometimes changing schedule.

I’ve read the thread here which explains more or less how to script the refreshes:

In our case the DB names and filepaths are the same, so our script will look something like:

1. Dump MS SQL Permissions
  2. Restore Production backups from server A overwriting databases on server B
  3. Run permissions script

Any thoughts on how to set up the “triggering” mechanism using commvault?  We want it to be 100% hands free once we get it all set up.

Thanks- Chris

@Chris Newman 

Based on your post once these databases are migrated to MSSQL “I need to have them refreshed on a known but sometimes changing schedule.” This takes a standard schedule out of the picture, however you can setup everything as noted in the post you linked and simply execute “run immediately” on the created schedule. 

However in your situation I think the best option is command line. Once you setup the restore options (overwrite, destination server, file location, etc) you can just save the job as a script. This allows you total control and all you need to do is execute the scripts you have to run anyway.
Now all you have to do is implement that into your complete script:

1. Dump MS SQL Permissions
  2. Call the Commvault restore which will be executed via command line within the same script or call it within you existing scripts
  3. Run permissions script (or have the restore part of this script)

Awesome, thanks Scott!  I’ll document this and share with everyone once we nail it.  Appreciate the information sir.

Awesome, thanks Scott!  I’ll document this and share with everyone once we nail it.  Appreciate the information sir.

Happy to help.

Just adding some docs for general info on save as a script and how its saves/executed.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/45435_save_as_script_overview.html