Skip to main content

Hi All,

short question :) 

How many STreams used during vsa restore of an single vm. 

For Example we had 1 Vm with 1 5TB .vmdk file . Is commvault using 1 STream per VM ? 

Another point is what happend when we have the following setup:

1 VM with 5 X 1TB .vmdks is the backup and restore using 5 Streams

in both cases we had an subclient which only this particular vm

Restore is 1 stream per VM, only backup has multi stream

hey jos thanks for your fast reply. Thats sounds bad… also with index v2 ? 

Do you have an idear what is with big vms ?

All restores for VMware are still single stream. I know multi-stream has been explored (one stream per disk) but I think there were some challenges with it which meant it could not be used in production.

I’ll try find out more info. 

In the meantime, there are some quick recovery options depending on your use case and underlying storage - i.e vSAN, VVOL or NetApp NFS can do ‘instant’ reverts. Live Sync is another option to keep an in-sync replica to recovery quickly from. Live VM recovery is also an option depending on the I/O of the machine.

Restore is 1 stream per VM, only backup has multi stream

do you know if there is an hint to this information in bol

@SSchmidt here is the info, note that the virtual server agent is excluded:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10969_streams_overview.html

Quote:

Using Multiple Streams to Restore Data
By default, restore operation uses a single stream. For faster restore operations, you can configure the restore operation to use multiple streams, and you can define alternate data paths. For more information, see GridStor®️ (Alternate Data Paths) - Overview.

Restoring data using multiple streams is supported by the following agents:

Windows File System Agent

Linux File System Agent

AIX File System Agent

FreeBSD File System Agent

HP-UX File System Agent

Solaris File System Agent”

All restores for VMware are still single stream. I know multi-stream has been explored (one stream per disk) but I think there were some challenges with it which meant it could not be used in production.

I’ll try find out more info. 

In the meantime, there are some quick recovery options depending on your use case and underlying storage - i.e vSAN, VVOL or NetApp NFS can do ‘instant’ reverts. Live Sync is another option to keep an in-sync replica to recovery quickly from. Live VM recovery is also an option depending on the I/O of the machine.

Hi Andre, did you had time to check the status of Restore with more than 1 Stream for VMWare. ? Thanks