Skip to main content
Question

MySQL Backup restore fails - Log Restore

• 2 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello Commuinity,

We tried to restore a MySQL DB on Linux machine. Backup fails with showing an error (See the image), but we can see the restore job completes only the log restore had been failed.

Job Details

We initially disable/stop the mysql services from the restoration machine (Restoration will not start if the services are up).

However, in the log files we can see the restoration succeeded. “Log restore” logs were not in the view log file.

Logs from view logs

Hi @Suranjan 

I had similar issues when restoring MySQL DBs that do not have any bin log backups. If this is the case, please check:

Do you have any incremental/log backups for the source instance?

If not, could you please make sure that you are not trying to restore Logs?

The reason is if your MySQL server does not use bin logs and/or you are not running backups of those, then you need to de-select Log during restores. Otherwise the DB will be restored but since there are no log backups, the job will fail during log restore. If you de-select log restore, the database will restore just fine and job will be completed with a nice green color on it.

Let me know if that helps.

Hi @Robert Horowski,

Thank you for the response.

Yes, we’ve selected the Log restore option. And we have incremental log backups for this instance. Actually, we are testing the incremental backup restoration from the incremental backups. We are using incremental backups as transactional logs. So, I think we need to select the logs option from the restore window.

Thanks