Question

No HANA point in time retore possible if time lies after the last log backup.

• 16 December 2022
  • 17 replies

Badge +5

hello all,

Unfortunately it is not possible to restore a HANA DB via Commvault to a specific point in time as long as this point in time is younger than the last log backup. Everything older works. It looks like CV deletes / overwrites the newest logs.
CV Version: 11.28.36
 "restore catalog from time" is activated. Without activating this no restore at all was possible

Best regards

Frank

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin 

Are you trying in-place restore and want to use the logs present and not backed up yet for recovery?

Thanks,

Sunil

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin 

Was “Initialize log area” option selected during the restore?

Please unselect “Initialize log area”  option and rerun the restore

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/22526_faqs_sap_hana_idataagent_01.html

Initialize Log Area Option

When you select the Initialize Log Area option, the software only replays the log entries from the backup when it is required. The following are the most common scenarios when you use the option:

Note: Consider your environment when you choose the option.

• When you have a corrupt catalog

• When the log area is not usable

• When you perform a database copy or a system copy

Data Only Restore

The following are the most common scenarios when you use the option:

• When the catalog is corrupted

• When you do not want to replay the logs

Point-in-Time Catalog Restore

The following are the most common scenarios when you use the option:

• When the most recent catalog backup is corrupted

• When you perform multiple restore operations with the Initialize Log Area option

Regards,

Gowri Shankar 

Badge +5

@Sunil : you are right, inplace and using the still existing logs from after the last log backup

@Gowri Shankar : yes, “initialize log area” was disabled  since we want to use the most recent logs still available

Regards

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin 

Do you mean even with “Initialize log area” disabled, the recover to PIT after the last log backup isn’t working?

Is restore to latest time working and using the most recent logs?

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +5

@Sunil exactly, “initialize log area” is disabled but no recover to PiT if time of PiT is later than the last log backup

The restore to latest time ends with the last log Backup restore applied

Best regards

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin 

Would you mind running the same test from HANA studio or cockpit and see if it’s using the locally available logs for recovery?

Commvault generates the same recover syntax and HANA requests for the required logs. I believe this isn’t a vendor side issue, but would like to double check by running recovery from HANA studio.

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +5

@Sunil : sorry, but Hana Studio is not possible: we are working with NetApp Sanshot / SnapVault and the answer from CV is that it is still not possible to use HANA Studio vith the NetApp Integration

Best regards

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin 

Ah.. I got it. Snapshot backup can be restored only through Commvault UI. I was thinking it’s a streaming backup.

Are you doing snap revert or non-revert restore?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +5

@Sunil : good question … normal restore via html GUI without selecting specific source … this must be snap revert 

But after this, the necessary non snap based log backups are restored without any problems. the log volume (all NFS!) is not snapshot based

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I now understand why this behavior is. For hardware revert we always Initialize log area whether or not it’s selected in the GUI. We have had customer issues when data and log paths are on same volume and when snap revert is done the log area is also overwritten and can’t be used for recovery.

But for restore without hardware revert selected, we don’t Initialize log area.

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +5

@sunil : but this is very bad … hardware revert → fast … no hardware revert → slow slow slow … we (better said the customer) need  a way to do hardware revert without deleting the log area. Fast restore with the NetApp integration was the main reason for the customer to buy this product !!!!! 

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Frank,

Can you raise a support ticket to relax this? We can leave it to the user whether or not to Initialize log area. We may have to run some more tests in the lab though.

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +5

221216-499 

We need here urgently a solution!

The customer is already angry because it does not work and if I now tell him that this is not possible at all (without offering a solution) we lose him (and CV too).  

Badge +5

@Sunil : please please leave this decision to the customer! If necessary with a demand / a hint to dangers if the log area is on the same volume as the data area

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @dcvadmin,

We looked at the logs you’ve shared. I don’t see revert used for any of the restore jobs. But I see “Initialize log area” is selected from the GUI and succeeded fine. The job id 358593 didn’t select Initialize log area. But this has failed due to incompatible log area.

Can you give an example job where you didn’t select Initialize log area in the GUI and it recovered partially?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +5

@Sunil :

1.) even if the customer had not used “hardware reverse” (till now), it is extremly necessary that there is an option to init or not to init the log area (as I metioned maybe with a warning that the log area should not be on the data volume). Restore from SnapShot via hardware revert is by far faster than restore via copy from mounted snapshot (like the actual choosen way) and there should be a way for PiT recovery to a nearly actual time (maybe only one table was droped by mistake and the customer don’t want to loose all other changes since the last log backup).

2.) I don’t understand why you see in the logs that the option “init log area” was activated. Our customer who tested the restore nows, that this is wrong for a PiT recovery with time < last log backup (note: he uses the html GUI and not the java GUI). What else can be the reason for not be able to perform a PiT < last log Backup?

Best regards and thanks for your help !!

Frank

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Frank,

I definitely understand why you’re looking for the control in case of revert. So far, based on our conversation our assumption is that the clear log area is because of Revert option. But from the logs you’ve shared, it’s not the case. I would like to understand the exact reason, that’s why I’m asking for an example job so I can look into the logs and see if there is any other reason for it.

I just don’t want to end up giving the partial fix which doesn’t cover your case. Our support engineer Darwin is reaching out to you. Please help him with the necessary information. If you’d like to discuss I’d be more than happy to get on a call to understand and explain better.

Appreciate your cooperation.

We can take this further conversation to the ticket escalation as this thread may not be right forum for all the technical details involved.

Thanks,

Sunil-