Question

NVMe over FC support?

• 26 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

When is NVMe over FC support going to be released by Commvault?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@A9K,

I have checked this internally and currently, NVME over FC is not supported.

Do you have a CCR/CMR submitted for this request? if not please reach out to your Sales team to work on creating CCR/CMR for the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@A9K NVMe over FC for what? Hyperscale X?

Badge +1

@A9K,

I have checked this internally and currently, NVME over FC is not supported.

Do you have a CCR/CMR submitted for this request? if not please reach out to your Sales team to work on creating CCR/CMR for the same.

No CCR/CMR is yet submitted. Thank you for the information, we’ll investigate that option further.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @A9K 

Can you elaborate of what the use-case is? What are you wanting to use NVME over FC for? Depending on what you use it for, we may be agnostic toward it.

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +1

Hello @A9K 

Can you elaborate of what the use-case is? What are you wanting to use NVME over FC for? Depending on what you use it for, we may be agnostic toward it.

Thank you,
Collin

Hello Collin,

Our use case involves protecting Namespaces from HPE Alletra 9080 SAN storage to HPE StoreOnce 5660 SAN backup over StoreOnce Catalyst interface.
The Namespaces are consumed by ESXi and Oracle Linux servers.
The servers are communicating with the SAN storage over the NVMe/FC. 

We would need the support for the ESXi servers to start with.

Thank you,
Badge

When you say NVMe/FC isn’t supported, do you mean it’s not supported at all? Or just through streaming /VADP backups?

Also, what about other NVMe-oF transports, like TCP?

It seems like the general push for block storage is moving in this direction. Be it HPE, NetApp, Dell, Pure, etc… They pretty much all support it now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It might work when using hot-add, but not in SAN-mode I think. I hope someone from CVLT can share the status around the adoption of NVMe/FC and NVMe/TCP for VSA and IntelliSnap.