Skip to main content

Hi Commvault Community,

I would like to ask, how many simultaneous virtual machines on Nutanix can be backed up by one VSA server using the hotadd transport mode?

We have three scenarios:

1) In which two VSA servers simultaneously backup 10 virtual machines with a total capacity of 1.3TB over 6 hours.

2) Backup of the same machines one after another with two VSA servers takes 1 hour and 30 minutes.

3) Simultaneous backup of the same machines by means of 3 VSA servers takes 15 minutes.

The consumption of CPU and RAM during the task doesn’t exceed 50% (each VSA has 8CPU and 8GB RAM).

Why such differences in time and what will be the Best Practices in this situation?

Thanks&Regards,
Kamil

Good morning.  There is no set number of VMs that can be backed up at one time.  The best answer is “as many as resources will allow”.  Can you please verify that you the prerequisites for protecting Nutanix with the Virtual Server agent are met:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/3338_system_requirements_for_virtual_server_agent_with_nutanix_ahv.html

Hi @Orazan ,

VSAs are configured as per Commvault documentation.

The question is, what is the better approach for VSA servers.

Option 1. Better to add another smaller VSA?
Option 2. Is it better to add CPU and RAM to the existing VSA and if it has 12CPU then install the new VSA machine?

It's all about the performance of data protection tasks. As I wrote at the beginning, if you use 3 VSA instead of 2, the backup job are completed much faster, so I think option 1 will be better, right?

Rgrds,
Kamil

Multiple smaller VSA is better as Nutanix resources can be load balancer in a more efficient manner over the available Nutanix nodes, which will result in improved performance 🙂

Hi, 

Thank you for the information @Jos Meijer 

Additionally, I found out from a colleague working with Nutanix that this is due to their clustering and Data Locality.

Everything has been cleared up. Case resolved.

Thanks&Regards,
Kamil

Your welcome 😀

Good to hear everything has been cleared up 👍