Question

Querying a vCenter without using a subclient.

• 7 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I am looking to use the vmname to get the details of a vm without having to generate a subclient.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Chris.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @christopherlecky 

Thanks for the question, i am just having a hard time understanding what you are trying to achieve.
Can you please expand on what you mean by “details” 

Please provide any all information that you can so i can best help you. 
Also please advise Feature Release version. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Essentially I need the API request that is generated here

It can likely be captured by someone internal to commvault.

I tried finding it using gui logging, but the appears to be no longer working and it doesn't show up in adminconsole.log.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Just confirming you are able to make this rule and get results? 
Can you please confirm what your end goal is with this API? I am just trying to understand why you are using CV to get these details is all.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Yes I can get results.

I am using commvault because the goal is to tag the vm eventually and populate a subclient.

vCenters rest api is basically garbage.

in other words I am going to use the commvault api to find the vm, then use the vcenter api to tag the vm then use the commvault api to discover the client into the vm group and run a backup on the individual vm.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

To be clear I need the api call that is generated when preview is clicked.

in other words I dont need to create the rule I need to submit the request and get the result.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Trying to convert a powercli script for tagging VMs to use the workflow system to integrate with commvault.

But guess what 

Their power-cli commands are way more powercli than the rest api equivalent so modeling it in the workflow system becomes the most convoluted nested loops.

It’s honestly horrifying.