Question

Question on Command center vs CommCell Console

• 17 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I’m a fan of the Console but I’m told it is no longer going to be supported. I’ve been instructed that I need to stop using the Console in favor of Command Center. Just a couple questions about that though.

Do I need to recreate my configuration as Plans on the interface? I’m finding that my Console jobs are running, and I can manage the job, but I don’t seem to be able to make changes to things like policies.

If I do setup plans and get everything going in the Command Center, will that override the Console settings? Do I need to do anything in the Console other than to stop using it?

I’m also open to any suggestions, tips, etc. that you can provide.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Using the CommCell Console is still supported.  You can continue to using it.

That said, Command Center is the suggested interface in the long term.  At some point you will want to get your environment in a state where it can be managed from Command Center.

The largest difference is the Storage Policies (CommCell Console) and Plans (Command Center).  You can think of the Plans as being the Storage Policies and Schedule Policies rolled into a single entity for easier management.

There is a process for converting Storage Policies to Plans.  See below, and I suggest reaching out to your account team if you have any questions or want assistance.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/125293_converting_commcell_console_storage_policies_to_command_center_server_plans_or_laptop_plans.html

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I also urge everyone to use Command Center even though I also need/move back to the CommCell console and the reason for it is that otherwise people will not get used to it and the change will be bigger. 

One of the reason I move back personally is the lack of oversight in Command Center. You just have to click around way too much to get a good decent picture on how things are running. What I in all honesty miss is information gathering from product management in relation to the usability of Command Center from both a UX experience and a feature perspective. I speak a lot to people within Commvault, but do not see a lot of activity here. Curious to hear what other think of Command Center like it is right now based on FR32. Reason why I in particular refer to FR32 is because it is continuously being refactored, so running the latest version gives a different perspective than running an older version like FR28.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m a fan of the Console but I’m told it is no longer going to be supported. I’ve been instructed that I need to stop using the Console in favor of Command Center. Just a couple questions about that though.

Do I need to recreate my configuration as Plans on the interface? I’m finding that my Console jobs are running, and I can manage the job, but I don’t seem to be able to make changes to things like policies.

If I do setup plans and get everything going in the Command Center, will that override the Console settings? Do I need to do anything in the Console other than to stop using it?

I’m also open to any suggestions, tips, etc. that you can provide.

Hey @CDobbs,

The commcell console is fully supported - you can keep using it and there is no need alter any of your configuration. As Scott said, it may be beneficial to start learning and playing around with Command Center concepts for later down the track.

Badge +1

Using the CommCell Console is still supported.  You can continue to using it.

That said, Command Center is the suggested interface in the long term.  At some point you will want to get your environment in a state where it can be managed from Command Center.

My “Powers That Be” know me well enough that if they don’t start pushing me now, I won’t get around to switching over until the last minute when everything is falling apart

The largest difference is the Storage Policies (CommCell Console) and Plans (Command Center).  You can think of the Plans as being the Storage Policies and Schedule Policies rolled into a single entity for easier management.

That is exactly the kind of description I needed. I always thought it was a bit over-complicated to have those separated. It took me a bit to get used to that.

There is a process for converting Storage Policies to Plans.  See below, and I suggest reaching out to your account team if you have any questions or want assistance.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/125293_converting_commcell_console_storage_policies_to_command_center_server_plans_or_laptop_plans.html

Scott, I really appreciate you taking the time to help. This was exactly what I was hoping for.

Cheers!

Badge +1

I also urge everyone to use Command Center even though I also need/move back to the CommCell console and the reason for it is that otherwise people will not get used to it and the change will be bigger. 

Similar to what I said to Scott above; If I don’t start doing it now, I won’t until it’s too late.

Curious to hear what other think of Command Center like it is right now based on FR32.

In general, I’m old-school, and absolutely detest this current trend of turning everything into a webapp. I have never found a webapp that lets me work the way I like. I’ve got a whole manifesto I could probably put together about what I think is wrong with software today, but that’s not what you asked. </Rant>

The Command Center interface looks neato-keen and the Dashboard looks like it would be right at home as part of a single pane of glass network status display. Navigation is actually fairly intuitive if you are going through one very specific procedure at a time. I don’t always work that way, so I’m constantly fighting the interface. In the Console, I usually have several tabs related to my current task that I swap between. I’ve found some workarounds that help, but it just doesn’t flow nicely for me.

The second problem I have is something that causes me great irritation with the vast majority of software packages in general and webapps in particular. I hate constantly switching between mouse and keyboard and sometimes my arm hurts so that using the mouse is uncomfortable. It is impossible to navigate through the Command Center using only the keyboard.

The last problem I have with the Command Center has a lot to do with another reason I hate webapps. I’ve run into functionality issues related to security settings that are enforced on my desktop browser from the companies central management. Not a big surprise, I have to run the Console from the server because Java is not allowed on the client.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Badge +1

Hey @CDobbs,

The commcell console is fully supported - you can keep using it and there is no need alter any of your configuration. As Scott said, it may be beneficial to start learning and playing around with Command Center concepts for later down the track.

I very much dislike change. I need to change now when I can still switch back to the familiar system for individual tasks. If I don’t do it now, I won’t do it until I have no choice. The biggest problem is that that moment will happen at an inconvenient time and I will be under a major time crunch to learn how to do everything in the Command Center. For once in my career, I’m going to get ahead of a change.