Skip to main content

Per books online, after a db2 client upgrade the following commands need to be run:

• Restart DB2 Log Manager using the db2pd -db <database_name> -fvp lam1 command.

• On AIX computer, after upgrade, run the slibclean command.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this always necessary? if not under what conditions does it become necessary.
  2. How impactful are running these commands
  3. What exactly are they both doing
  4. Why can they not be integrated into the actual client upgrade.

That last question is obvious if there is some clear or ambiguous impact, but I would like to understand this better so I can better address mass client upgrades.

Having to circle back and run manual commands after pushing upgrades to 100 clients seems counterproductive.

I ask these questions because post upgrade of a a large number of clients we ran into slib2so errors.

The vast majority of clients had no issues, but of course the one that did was a doozy.

Thanks.

Chris.

Hi @christopherlecky 

Db2 log manager process is a shared library which is responsible to move an archive logs from db2 online log area to commvault archive log area as soon as it is created. Commvault protects the logs from the commvault archive log area. If the db2 log manager is not reloaded after a upgrade then archive log backups may fail. 

restart Db2 Log Manager using the commands in documentation will not have any impact on the database operations. 

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Thank you @Gowri Shankar , but this doesn’t really answer the second question. 

What I am thinking of doing is writing a workflow that will take an upgrade client list and at the end of the upgrade run the commands on the DB2 clients that were upgraded. 

So the question is will this impact production to run these commands. 

thanks.

Chris.

Hi @christopherlecky  

As far as I know there will not be any impact on the database however I would recommend to check with IBM as the process belongs to IBM db2 application and not commvault.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar 

Thanks. I will do that.