Skip to main content

Hi

how can i identify which users impersonate to SQL backup for logshipping job?

(Subclient - CvFailoverLogShipping)

its suppose to be in the SQL the installed on the Comserve itself? if so, i can identify it?

i want to switch the user that do this backup, i created a specific user that cannot lock...just need to configure it in SSMS :)

Thanks

Hi @Avior,

This can be changed at the Instance level of SQL Clients that are performing the Log Shipping.

For the Java GUI:

• Expand the Client > SQL Server Agent
  • Go to the Properties of the SQL Instance
  • Go to the Accounts Tab and select the radio button to Override higher level settings
  • Enter the account details here, or create a Credential Manager entry for a SQL Server account (depending on what version of Commvault Software you are running.
  • Do the same for the SQL Server instance for any Standby CommServes you have.

For Command Center:

• Go to Protect > Databases
  • Go to the Instances Tab
  • Click on the appropriate SQL Instance
  • In the ‘Overview’ tab there is a ‘SQL Server Authentication’ setting where you can define an account / credential as mentioned above.
  • Repeat for any Standby CommServe instances

Make sure that the account in question has ‘sysadmin’ role on the SQL Instance, and you should be good to go.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-Brian Bruno

Hi

Thanks for the response

but this is not what i asked…

i created a new user...so i need to configure it somewhere on the SQL Studio,,,in the logins….right?

my question is:

i need to configure the user on the comserve database? or somewhere else?

and another thing..i tried to do what u suggest..on other sql client:

1. i created the user in Credential Manager
  2. go to sql agent > right click > properites > account > override higer lever
  3. when im choose the credentials i did i got error:

Hi @Avior,

Apologies that I misunderstood your original question.  The User will need to be configured in SQL Under Security > Logins.  You don’t need to worry about doing any specific User Mappings to any particular database, as you will need to grant this user the ‘sysadmin’ role.  This role gives it access to all databases in the instance with all permissions that we require, so there’s no need to configure anything more granular.

If you’ve not done so already, create the new user here:

Assuming that this is for a Windows-based MSSQL Server Instance, we will need to leverage an account that meets 2 criteria on the server:

• The account needs to be a Local Administrator on the OS level.
    1. This account will be need access to things in the Operating System like the Commvault Log Files.
    2. This means we will need to leverage a Windows account here rather than a local SQL Server account.
  • It must have Sysadmin permissions to the SQL Instance itself.
    • This is defined in the Server Roles tab after adding your Windows User.

Once you have ensured that your new user has appropriate permissions both within Windows as well as the sysadmin role within SQL Server, you should now be able to define that account in Commvault in the locations I shared in my previous response and the backup should work as expected.

-Brian Bruno

thanks Brian

i missed the  Local Administrator on the OS level.

its working now !