Skip to main content

Hello,

For persistent log backups, is there  a way that sap hana can be made to retry at some duration using the same job when there is an issue with commvault infrastructure?

It looks like when the jobs start failing, the commvault server gets bombarded with new jobs every few minutes trying to run log backups.

In my case the number of log backup jobs exceeded more than 1500 within just a couple of hours.

Thanks

Hi @Sandy11 , thanks for the post!

Is this a common issue?  You can adjust the number of retries (link below), but I’m more concerned with the root cause.  What CV components are having these infrastructure issues?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6560_setting_maximum_number_of_restarts.html

Thanks for the reply. Its not a common issue, it  was caused by OS patching of commvault infrastrucsture. But I want to know how to prevent large influx of jobs during these type of issues.

Since  these log backups trigger as command line backup it does not look like they retry at all.

Ahh, ok.  I misunderstood your initial question.  So you’re looking to prevent backups during time frame X, and then have them run again later (after that period)?

You can set up a blackout window here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6611_blackout_window.html

When blackout window operation rules are configured, operations that are started within the time window specified will go to a queued (as opposed to pending) state. After the time window specified in the blackout window operation rule has elapsed, these queued operations resume automatically. If any operations are already running within the time window, then the operations are not affected. The window rules are applicable only to the new operations that start after the time window.

Not sure if this will help as you’d need to know when these operations are happening.

Thanks for the input. I will try that next time.

No problem!  If this doesn’t do the trick, let us know!