Question

Schedule a restoration job in different system

• 13 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hi team, 

There is requirement to backup some PDF files from one server and restore it different server automatically as daily basis. Is there anyway to do it in commvault?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, this can be some via a scheduled restore job which can be configured via the CommCell console. See also https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/18554_restoring_data_using_windows_file_system_agent.html#before-you-begin

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Amit 

You can also try to use Replication groups / file server (might be subject to licensing…?)

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/117104_configuring_replication_group_for_file_system_agents.html

This is some kind of controlled and automated way (and Command center’ed way) to do as @Onno van den Berg highlighted.

Well, to be honest, I already noticed a few issues with replicating data this way.

It does a back, then a restore.

But I noticed that, when some open files could not be backup for any reason, then it’s not restored, but will also never be re-backup (then re-restored at the target), resulting in missing files at the target, if you compare source and destination.

I tried with incremental + synthfull jobs, never could try with incr+real fulls. And chose to overwrite existing files to be fully sync’ed.

I’d like to hear about this from others here, in labs but for sure in Prod/real life use cases…

Regards,

Laurent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Amit 

What you can do is manually initiate a restore of the PDF file based on latest backup.
On the restore options screen, select the target client and file system location.
Select Save as Script.

Then use that script in the PostBackup value in the advanced settings of the subclient.
This way after every backup the file will be restored to the desired location.

If you want to perform this only periodically and don’t want to create a dependency to the backup job then instead of Save as Script, use the Job Initiation tab and select schedule to set the desired interval.

Hope this helps.