Skip to main content

I want to download a particular section of the documentation, and while I can select the ‘PDF more pages’ option at the top level I then have to select each individual page to be included in the export.  This gets very tedious for a large section.

I’m looking for a way where when you select the ‘top’ page, all subpages are selected by default.

Can this be done?

Hi SKarra,

Yes, there is an option to select multiple section and download as PDF.

On any page, select the PDF icon and select “PDF more pages”.  You will see the left column now display checkboxes to select multiple sections as per screen below. 

Hope this helps.

Regards

Venu Kondabhathini

Thank you Venu.

Problem is that if I want the entire “Deployment” section for example, I can’t just click the box in front of Deployment.  I have to click that and then every section under that -

“Downloading the Commvault Software”,

“Downloading the Commvault Software Using the Download Manager”,

“Downloading the Commvault Software Using the CommCell Console”,

“Other Software and Packages”.

Then before I hit the download button, I have to expand each one of those sections and select all their sections.

It gets VERY tedious

Onno van den Berg highlighted this problem about a year ago in the hope we would have a better solution, but it doesn’t sound like we have one.

Thanks for the feedback, Skarra!

The PDF multi-select feature that you describe in your post is something we are actually working on as a feature improvement for the documentation site. We should have this feature added to the Commvault documentation site very soon. But in the meantime, if you want to preview how the PDF multi-select feature works, you can try it out the Metallic documentation site (https://docs.metallic.io):

1. Click the PDF icon, and then click PDF more pages.
  2. In the left navigation, select only the top-level pages that you want to add to the PDF.
  3. Click Create PDF and wait until your custom PDF is downloaded to your browser.
    The PDF should include the pages that you selected as well as any child pages that appear underneath your selected pages in the navigation.

The new PDF generation backend should also be faster and includes a hierarchical outline of the pages in order with respect to how they are ordered in the documentation site navigation.

If you get a chance to check out how the feature works on the Metallic site, we’d love to hear what you think.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Excellent.  The Metallic document generation process works as I need it to work - hopefully we’ll see this in the Commvault docs soon.  And it’s much faster.

Some feedback -

1. From a UI perspective, it would be nice to have the sub-levels ticked if you have the top-level ticked to confirm what you are getting. (I noticed that regardless of whether they are ticked or not, you will get ALL of those sub-levels printed)
  2. I like that you get the Date printed on the front page, and all the sub-levels also retain their own Updated dates
  3. Whatever you’re using to generate the front page is not compatible with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 which has never given me an error before.  It’s only that very first page which displays the error - “An error exists on this page - Acrobat may not display the page correctly.  Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem”.  All the other pages display fine.  The first page does display correctly in the browser though, so it’s most likely a backward compatibility issue.  It would be good to fix that so people like myself don’t see that problem.

Thank you for the update.

@Mike Murawinski do you know when this is going to be possible?