Question

ServiceNow incident creation workflow has authentication issue due to MFA

• 28 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi, 

I have customized the default workflow ‘Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident’ available in Commvault to create incidents in ServiceNow if we have failed backups in the environment. This worked fine for almost a year.

The ServiceNow was integrated with AD and all users including the service account were accessing the ServiceNow using SSO. The user the workflow uses to Authenticates with ServiceNow every time the workflow triggers is an AD service account user. The AD user will login to ServiceNow using its credentials and OAuth token. But now that the Client enabled MFA on all their AD accounts due to Security policy, the workflow no longer works. 

I tried to open a case with Support to request a workaround for this issue, and Support wants us to provide as much information as possible and what type of authentication can be used with ServiceNow. I don’t know what other authentication methods can be used to login to ServiceNow without triggering the MFA. My client is of opinion that Commvault should be able to get that information and modify the workflow, as the workflow itself was originally developed by Commvault. I wanted to check if someone in Community faced the same issue or may happen to know what the solution is for this case?  

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Aravind 

Thanks for the detailed question!
The support team are going to want all the details so that if it needs to go to Dev they can build a alternative solution to your problem.

But if you need to have MFA enable and that is your preferred and only method of authorising the service account the ticket should go to Dev to either provide a CMR to build a solution or advise work arounds and such.

Maybe someone in the community has run into this issue and has a work around already that they can share but i still think you should go down the path of moving the support ticket to Dev to get a definitive answer. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams