Question

Should we be using Server Plans?

• 7 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I’ve been using Commvault through the java console for years and backups are what I guess you’d call traditional GFS so even though we’re using global dedupe and synthetic fulls we’re basically running a weekly synthetic full and aux copying all backups from disk to tape each week.

The change rate is really low so most weeks we’re basically coping the exact same multi-TB backup to tape as the week before.

I’m wondering what people see as the pros and cons of things like server plans where it looks like it might push out the synthetic full to once every 30 days.

Or maybe even stick with “manual” schedule policies but look at pushing synthetic fulls out to run a little less often.

Right now I’m just thinking about this because I’m building up a new MA so it’s made me read/explore a little more - basically nothing is broken so I could just leave it as it is but I’m quite conscious that if I span up a new commcell and use the web console we probably wouldn’t end up where we are now 😀

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It really depends I would say what your plans are towards the future, if you already running on FR28 or higher and use Command Center for daily operations.

If you create a server plan now you basically are pretty limited to what kind of changes, if needed, you can make to the underlying schedule/storage policies which it uses under the hood as its foundation. If you are considering to migrate existing schedules and storage policies (there is a workflow for it) than I would say go for it and start consuming server plans. I b.t.w. dislike the name, because you are using server plans also to protect application data and unstructured data so I normally refer to them as protection plans. I hope they will change the name soon!

The reason I in particular referred to FR28 is because they added a lot of addition customization options to the plan configuration. I personally always define the RPO in hours so the load is spread overtime. But generally speaking it is still kind of based on GFS rotation cycles. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

We’re on 11.28.44.

Future plans are always difficult to predict but other than maybe more data I don’t see too many crazy changes.

I’m trying to use the Command Center but I’m way more familiar with the Java console.

We also have quite a few subclients and requirements to run different clients or subclients at different times.

Right now it all seems manageable (we don’t have tons of policies) I guess my question is more about how often to do Synthetic full backups on large clients as right now doing them weekly seems over the top given how little data actually changes.

Except it’s nice being able to point to a set of weekly aux copy backup tapes that contain a full backup.